Succesful and 'Inspirational' T1's

jskaife

Darren Brass = Type 1 Diabetic.

Probably not many people familiar with him, he is a tattoo artist on a show call Miami Ink.

LEGEND

Giraffe

I know of Darren Brass! There was the show where they all went out on the lash and he didn't show up for work and everyone at the shop was going crazy worried about him, but he got there eventually, mega hungover! I like Miami Ink.

Tommy Lee no way, I didn't know that! Or Syd Barret, that's mad.

I think Nick Jonas is a good inclusion, a lot of teenagers feel very isolated with type 1, and to have someone so much in the limelight (and hugely successful, rich and idolised by the opposite sex, however much we might rail against the Disney bandwagon) is a good thing for them to see!

Living a great life, not letting it hold him back - that's inspirational for sure.

Blackadder

Danny McGrain Influential footballer for Celtic and Scotland. Still works at Parkhead with the youngsters I think.

Was showing symptoms during the 1974 World Cup finals and was diagnosed shortly after. If it wasn't for this man and later Gary Mabbutt I'd have never played football at any kind of level myself because my school wanted to stop me doing any kind of sport because of diabetes in the lat 70's. I was diagnosed same 1975.

Thank you Danny....and Gary.

mrgiggles247

Jay Cutler - Chicago Bears quarterback.

Maybe not so much an inspiration after the way he left the Denver Broncos, but still a very good player and well worth noting, as he is a very well known person over in the US. Also as he was diagnosed part way through his career and quite recently (2008).

howie

Cutler was diagnosed after his 2007 season and before the 2008 season started,

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7760 (year to year stats)

showing that he did not only play as well, but with improvement in 2008 after diagnosis. pretty inspirational, and this week to have thrown 247yrds for 3tds he is continuing to prove successful as a diabetic even with the chicago bears offense.

though i have dropped him in my fantasy league lol.

Snodger

Gazhay said:
kegstore said:
Sir Steve Redgrave - 5 Olympic Gold medals for rowing

Worth noting that he wasn't T1 while wining the bulk of those medals, he was diagnosed later in his career.

Doesn't take anything away from his achievement though.

Agreed, and I'm pretty sure the last two gold medals were while he was type 1 (and older than most other competitors) and also after he was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Oh, and also running the marathon after those diagnoses, too. The man is astounding and very inspirational. I actually think that coming back and getting more gold medals after a diagnosis of diabetes is breathtaking... think of the psychological effort as well as the physical effort, if you see yourself as an Olympic sportsman and suddenly you have a disease that everyone reckons has knocked your career on the head.

Can I also say thanks for this thread, good idea. Enjoyable to read. Has anyone mentioned Mary Tyler Moore yet? Given the prejudice against type 1 (and the difficulty of managing it) at the time she became famous, I think she did all right.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't regard myself as successful or inspirational, but I have discovered that several GP friends who I know socially, usually through expeditions / travel / adventure racing / mountain marathons etc are relatively surprised when, sometimes years after first meeting, they discover that I've had type 1 diabetes for years. One asked me to write a couple of articles about independent adventurous overseas travel for a magazine in which she usually writes the medical pages. I hope that what they know of me helps them to help others with type 1 diabetes in their practices - basically, let me get on with it, and support with (non-excessive) requests for prescriptions, including ibuprofen for the inevitable aches & pains eg last couple of days following Saunders Lake Mountain Marathon last weekend.

iHs

Hmmmm

Showing my age up now :lol:

Don't think that Mari Wilson (Beehive hair do) of The Wilsations has been mentioned. I always thought that if she can lead a life being diabetic, then so can I.

Richard157

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rude members who tend to chase others away, trolls who pretend to be something they are not.
Mary Tyler Moore, famous TV actress. You can see her book being sold on amazon.com.

C

catherinecherub

Re: Successful and 'Inspirational' T1's

Sharon Stone.

I would also like to mention the 25 year old that I met the other day. He is a sportsman, cricket, rugby, skiing and he teaches sign language. He also interprets for those with impaired hearing. There is a lad who copes admirably and has chosen a profession to help others.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
iHs said:
Hmmmm

Showing my age up now :lol:

Don't think that Mari Wilson (Beehive hair do) of The Wilsations has been mentioned. I always thought that if she can lead a life being diabetic, then so can I.

I remember not long after I got diagnosed with diabetes, Mari had a hit with 'Just what I always wanted' in 1982. People would say to me (to reassure me and make me feel better :roll: ) that she was also type 1 and lived life to the full and had a successful career despite her condition, so I would definitely go along with your suggestion iHs! :D

Nigel

badmedisin

Halle Berry confuses me. I read an article on her a few years back which said she was T1 and had weaned herself off insulin. I don't think they should have printed that in case impressionable people think it's a good idea to try.

I still don't know who nick jonas is... But I'm 31 so I probably don't need to know! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
badmedisin said:
Halle Berry confuses me. I read an article on her a few years back which said she was T1 and had weaned herself off insulin. I don't think they should have printed that in case impressionable people think it's a good idea to try.

I still don't know who nick jonas is... But I'm 31 so I probably don't need to know! :)

No way was Halle a type 1 if she is no longer using insulin, there are no other treatments available at present apart from insulin, except of course transplant surgery.

Nigel

Gazhay

Snodger said:
Gazhay said:
kegstore said:
Sir Steve Redgrave - 5 Olympic Gold medals for rowing

Worth noting that he wasn't T1 while wining the bulk of those medals, he was diagnosed later in his career.

Doesn't take anything away from his achievement though.

Agreed, and I'm pretty sure the last two gold medals were while he was type 1 (and older than most other competitors) and also after he was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Oh, and also running the marathon after those diagnoses, too. The man is astounding and very inspirational. I actually think that coming back and getting more gold medals after a diagnosis of diabetes is breathtaking... think of the psychological effort as well as the physical effort, if you see yourself as an Olympic sportsman and suddenly you have a disease that everyone reckons has knocked your career on the head.

I'm fairly sure, after seeing a documentary, that Steve Redgrave was ignoring doctors advice and actually harming himself when he won, at least, his last medal. As in, the doctors were telling him he was going close to organ failure, but he was "determined".

To me that isn't inspirational, it's irrational, and letting his family down. (akin to smokers who won't give up, more often it is the ones they leave behind that are hurt the most) Especially as he was already a great olympian.

Of course it is astounding he attained the medal, but my opinion is he isn't a good role model.

the_colon

A bit of an obscure one, but Fred Moore an animator from the 1930's. He worked for Disney, designed and animated Mickey Mouse for The Sorcerer's Apprentice in the original Fantasia.