Successful Experiment

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Guys,

Just a quick note, but this evening I did a little experiment. In the past I could not eat whole wheat pasta without a serious spike. One of my favorite dishes is diced chicken breast, sauteed in olive oil with garlic and oregano over pasta. The last time I tried it with whole wheat pasta 3 years ago my blood sugars were 240 mg/dL or 13.3 mmol/L and today I had the same dish and my numbers were 109 mg/dL or 6.1 mmol/L. The readings were taken 2 hours after each meal. I estimate the meal had about 55 g. of carbs. The interesting thing is that I was on Metformin 3 years ago and now I am off my meds.

I do not mean to be boasting, but I was too excited and needed to tell someone !!!! I do know I still need to be careful, but it is a a step in the correct direction. To be honest I am now much better at portion control.

Dave

Last edited:

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is excellent news. You’ve every right to celebrate!!!!! Well done bet that’s your new fave dish now. Enjoy many more.

Reactions: Perminder1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys,

Just a quick note, but this evening I did a little experiment. In the past I could not eat whole wheat pasta without a serious spike. One of my favorite dishes is diced chicken breast, sauteed in olive oil with garlic and oregano over pasta. The last time I tried it with whole wheat pasta 3 years ago my blood sugars were 240 mg/dL or 13.3 mmol/L and today I had the same dish and my numbers were 109 mg/dL or 6.1 mmol/L. The readings were taken 2 hours after each meal. I estimate the meal had about 55 g. of carbs. The interesting thing is that I was on Metformin 3 years ago and now I am off my meds.

I do not mean to be boasting, but I was too excited and needed to tell someone !!!! I do know I still need to be careful, but it is a a step in the correct direction. To be honest I am now much better at portion control.

Dave

DCB 2 - I'm not posting this to rain on your BBQ or devalue your experiment in any way, but to report my own experiences.

Did you continue to test beyond the 2 hour period at all? Wha was your fasting level next moring, and in comparison to recent, non-pasta days?

Like many, when first diagnosed pasta was a bit of a blood glucose challenge for me. That pasta was never really a favourite of ours meant I wasn't bereft to turn my back on it. However, it was quite convenient when visiting Italian eateries, or friends.

After a while, my findings were similar to yours - a low rise, however, that modest elevation stuck around, and impacted through next day's fasting and pre-lunch readings.

To be fair, I was supremely unfussed, and subsequently have had to go gluten-free, so I just don't eat pasta at all, in any form. As a way of living, I don't search out gluten-free variants of foods, as it's safer just to focus on naturally gluten free foods.

As I say, I'm not posting to rain on your BBQ, but I have seen several other report similar findings to my own experiences.

Hopefully you cope better than I did. I'll never know if part of my issue was always a level of gluten intolerance, and/or whether the longer, low elevation of sugars relates to my gluten problems, but I just thought it worth mentioning.

Ideally, you'll be able to add pasta back into your dietary choices, if you want to do that.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
DCB 2 - I'm not posting this to rain on your BBQ or devalue your experiment in any way, but to report my own experiences.

Did you continue to test beyond the 2 hour period at all? Wha was your fasting level next moring, and in comparison to recent, non-pasta days?

Like many, when first diagnosed pasta was a bit of a blood glucose challenge for me. That pasta was never really a favourite of ours meant I wasn't bereft to turn my back on it. However, it was quite convenient when visiting Italian eateries, or friends.

After a while, my findings were similar to yours - a low rise, however, that modest elevation stuck around, and impacted through next day's fasting and pre-lunch readings.

To be fair, I was supremely unfussed, and subsequently have had to go gluten-free, so I just don't eat pasta at all, in any form. As a way of living, I don't search out gluten-free variants of foods, as it's safer just to focus on naturally gluten free foods.

As I say, I'm not posting to rain on your BBQ, but I have seen several other report similar findings to my own experiences.

Hopefully you cope better than I did. I'll never know if part of my issue was always a level of gluten intolerance, and/or whether the longer, low elevation of sugars relates to my gluten problems, but I just thought it worth mentioning.

Ideally, you'll be able to add pasta back into your dietary choices, if you want to do that.

Fasting Number: 5.17 mmol/L or 93 mg/dL 2 Hours Later 6.67 mmol/L or 120 mg/dL. Your comments are still valid I believe that additional fiber in the whole wheat pasta spread out the processing over time. I will NOT even consider having regular pasta. One thing I did was that I made sure I had strict portion control and made sure I had only one serving. Three years ago when I tried the same thing I would spike around 240 mg/dL or 13.3 mmol/L and the next morning fasting was about 220 mg/dL or 12.2 mmol/L.

Yes today's fasting number is a about what I been getting

One thing I forgot to mention was that I swam a mile yesterday afternoon and was 83 mg/dL or 4.6 mmol/L afterwards.

Contributing Factors:
  1. I have lost over 50 lbs.
  2. I am now more physically active with swimming and walking
My blood sugar over the past few weeks gave me an indication that it was worth the try. I tried to keep the portion size under control and was prepared to "walk it off' if there was a spike.

Last edited:

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fasting Number: 5.17 mmol/L or 93 mg/dL 2 Hours Later 6.67 mmol/L or 120 mg/dL. Your comments are still valid I believe that additional fiber in the whole wheat pasta spread out the processing over time. I will NOT even consider having regular pasta. One thing I did was that I made sure I had strict portion control and made sure I had only one serving. Three years ago when I tried the same thing I would spike around 240 mg/dL or 13.3 mmol/L and the next morning fasting was about 220 mg/dL or 12.2 mmol/L.

Yes today's fasting number is a about what I been getting

One thing I forgot to mention was that I swam a mile yesterday afternoon and was 83 mg/dL or 4.6 mmol/L afterwards.

Contributing Factors:
  1. I have lost over 50 lbs.
  2. I am now more physically active with swimming and walking
My blood sugar over the past few weeks gave me an indication that it was worth the try. I tried to keep the portion size under control and was prepared to "walk it off' if there was a spike.

DCUKMod,

No problem about raining on my BBQ, I have had lived in the Pacific North West and having a BBQ rained out was a common occurrence. Your last comment allowed me to answer in more detail.No problem .........

Dave

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Well done every right to Celebrate. It is all about those little wins.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Coach !!!!!!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys,

Dave
Well done - I can also eat pasta but tend to test after 1, 2 and 3 hours so that I can see whether my BS is going up or down. I also get a better result if I run the cooked pasta under the cold tap and reheat.

Reactions: DCB 2

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done - I can also eat pasta but tend to test after 1, 2 and 3 hours so that I can see whether my BS is going up or down. I also get a better result if I run the cooked pasta under the cold tap and reheat.
Thanks ....

Reactions: Daphne917

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I would like to say thank you all for your understanding and support. I can not tell how much it means to me

Dave

Last edited:

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting response to a doctor in the UK who wore a CGM & ate high GI foods including pasta.
https://twitter.com/DocRunner1/status/1165298976666673153

Even non-diabetics spike far more than we ever knew.

Pasta.PNG

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Interesting response to a doctor in the UK who wore a CGM & ate high GI foods including pasta.
https://twitter.com/DocRunner1/status/1165298976666673153

Even non-diabetics spike far more than we ever knew.

View attachment 42441
That makes sense because because the carbs in plain pasta will be directly converted sugar.. The fiber in whole wheat pasta slows the absorption of sugar so your body has a chance to process it. Please do not misunderstand my post. Even if you eat whole wheat pasta if it is a lot of it you will still get a spike. In my situation one serving was about 55 g. of carbs if I had 3 servings that would be about 165 g. of carbs and that could cause problems. The great thing about fixing your own meals you have control what is in the food. Eating out you may not have such control.

Dave

FSnow

I went through a similar love affair with sour dough bread. Great 2 hour numbers until one day I had a late lunch and 4-5 hours later large spike. I should have known better because as a type 2 for around 18 years I know that rice will hold my blood sugar up for hours The low GI stuff can only be properly evaluated by CGM.
Hence my gradual adoption of low carb a couple of years ago so no more bread, pasta in addition to no rice.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
Well done with the experiment I tried the same thing awhile back I was on metformin and I had my version of potato soup ie potato, carrots ,turnips done with a lamb stock my figures never budged from approx 5.1 - 5.3 even after testing 1 hour then 2 and even the third hour even better on the second day soup which is obviously reheated but since I’ve been off the metformin lamb tends to spike me a little bit more ie in the 6s higher

The cooking and reheating works on quite a few foods but not on everybody it work with potato,pasta but not on spaghetti unusually for me it’s the matter of trial and error but can bring a lot more foods into play. Good luck trying

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi Dave,
Grate fantastic news its working for you and not against you now enjoy.

Sparklebrightisright