Successfully reversed Type 2

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People with a talent for bullsh1t
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in March last year at the age of 47. I suspect however that I've actually been diabetic for possibly 3-5 years due to the number of sweet things I was eating, a liking for unhealthy foods, too many sugary lattes etc. My weight was also creeping up due to little or no exercise.

In January 2015 I decided to implement a new year resolution to eat healthier and get a bit more exercise. As step one of my cunning plan I got myself a NutriBullit with the intention of trying to add more healthy options to my diet. Unfortunately my good intentions actually tipped me over the edge due to me making far too many fruit concoctions with it. Within a couple of weeks all the classic symptoms were piling up one after the other with the crunch coming one weekend in February when the sight in my left eye became blurry, I couldn't quench my thirst, was up multiple times during the night and various other little things. That's when I knew I had diabetes and self denial wasn't going to solve the problem.

A friend of mine suggested I test my sugar levels as her husband was Type 2 and she recognised the signs. So I did and found that my blood sugar was 22.7. End of argument really. I booked a doctor's appointment, he immediately referred me to the local hospital and once there of course, with a reading of 15.5 on the day, they didn't take long to confirm what I already knew.

So being told I was Type 2 was actually good news for me because it gave me the kick up the **** I needed to really change my habits. I looked on it as a challenge, not a hindrance. Once on 500mg medication, within 3 weeks I had managed to get my blood levels down to 7 - 10 by cutting out the bad habits and despite some peaks here and there, that's where they generally stayed for the next year.

After my last check up in the hospital, they were very happy with my progress but still felt that my levels needed to come down more and I needed to lose some weight. I was not huge, but at my heaviest I was 15st 7lbs which was at least 2st overweight... all congregated in the belly.

In May I took a radical step and went on the Lipotrim diet. This is NOT for the feint hearted, it's a very tough regimen, and not recommended to all. I was supposed to do this diet for 4 weeks, giving up the meds while I was doing so, but after 3 weeks I had actually achieved my goals. I got my weight down from 14st 1lb to 12st 13lb and my bloods over the 3 week period never rose above 7. So I managed to shave a full week off the time on the diet. I must confess that while doing the Lipotrim, the first week I followed it strictly, but not for the following 2 weeks. However, I tailored it to suit myself and kept the carbs to absolute minimum - alternating between having the Lipotrim shake and a lo-carb/carb-free meal.

It's now 3 weeks later and I'm still at the same 12st 13lb weight, still off the meds and my bloods have not registered outside the 4-7 range. I still test the bloods twice a day so I can see how I'm doing. I haven't fallen back on my old habits, but i haven't cut out everything I used to enjoy either. I've just been a bit more sensible with how I eat, when I eat and what I eat.

I'd like to think I've seen the last of Type 2 - maybe, maybe not, but I've definitely taken control of it. And feeling pretty **** good too.

Reactions: andi2508

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is excellent news. Well done. :)

A word of warning though - please don't imagine you are cured. Slip back to bad habits and you will be back where you started. Keep testing, and keep those carbs as low as possible. If you try out some of your favourite pre-diagnosis foods, do test before and after to keep a vigilant eye on things. I wish you all the best of luck.

Reactions: belfastbiker

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yep, I'm under no illusions about it. If I start eating the junk food again or that sweet tooth comes back, so will the high glucose levels. But for now I'm quite happy to have taken control of it and the task now is to keep things as they are.

Very happy to be off the meds too. :)

Reactions: 4 people

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Excellent effort @morradichi ! Give yourself a pat on the back - YOU did this! As @Bluetit1802 says, be wary of getting complacent. But if you do slip back, you already know you did it once and you can do it again. ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @morradichi - great effort. It all comes down to getting the control really. It's sure a journey. I agree with what others have said... just keep an eye on things. Also be mindful it's not just food that affects blood sugars. So learning to manage stress, etc... all helps. My sugar levels are affected by so many things, but I only know that because I've noticed. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: 2 people

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, thankfully I've managed to keep the stress levels down. I'm not someone who gets stressed all that much and when I do I try and focus on the positives so the stress goes away. Stress isn't really a factor with me. Bad diet and years of having a sweet tooth plus lack of exercise is what got me... all self inflicted. Getting myself a dog further reduced any stress that may have been present, even subconsciously. Ye can't beat a bit of dog therapy :D

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@morradichi
Thank you for your story, your 'downward' journey sounds exactly like mine ..... It's all my own fault, though I never experienced any symptoms - possibly why it came as a devastating shock.
I too have got rid of ALL the rubbishy in my diet (though not specifically an LCHF evangelist), lost over 3st (and counting) with hard 'Phys' contributing to this, and hoping and praying it will deliver results like yours....well done you!

Madame_Duke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bossy people.
Hello you clever chap, i am full of admiration and i dont underestimate your will power. I am on the same journey although still on 10 units of insulin a day. can i ask you has your medic ever said wether your pancreas is still producing insulin, my one doc said yes and another said no. Just your thoughts please

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok, well I went for my annual check at the hospital yesterday. I thought it was coming in September but no, 4th July.

For some reason they couldn't do the hba1c bloods so were relying on the results from last March. Those March levels were down to 49 (down from the initial reading of 107 when diagnosed in March 2015). That reading was taken before I even started the diet so I have to get the test done myself next Friday. I would be very surprised if this coming test shows me still above 42 given the success I've had since starting the diet. I'll keep you posted.

I have to say the nurse got very stroppy when I told her I was off the meds and didn't actually believe me... until I showed her my results for the last 7 weeks. I wanted to make sure there was no room for doubt so I made sure I brought both my monitor and my written log in as proof. Once she'd seen those she was 'oh that's pretty good actually'. I think she'd been having a bad day yesterday because she seemed to be arguing everything I was saying. But the proof was in the (low sugar) pudding ;-)

So as of now, I'm 7 weeks off the metformin, still keeping my weight down and still within the normal blood glucose range.

Next week's hba1c should be interesting.

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello you clever chap, i am full of admiration and i dont underestimate your will power. I am on the same journey although still on 10 units of insulin a day. can i ask you has your medic ever said wether your pancreas is still producing insulin, my one doc said yes and another said no. Just your thoughts please
No, they've never said anything to me about it. But if I'm on normal blood sugar levels then my pancreas must be producing AND operating more efficiently. I haven't had to take any injections.

Keep going and best of luck to you.

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@morradichi
Thank you for your story, your 'downward' journey sounds exactly like mine ..... It's all my own fault, though I never experienced any symptoms - possibly why it came as a devastating shock.
I too have got rid of ALL the rubbishy in my diet (though not specifically an LCHF evangelist), lost over 3st (and counting) with hard 'Phys' contributing to this, and hoping and praying it will deliver results like yours....well done you!
Yes I never had any symptoms either until that one weekend where it all came to head at once. So I knew immediately. Having a a friend's husband allow me to take a reading confirmed it.

I never actually upped my physical exercise though so I've no doubt you'll get those levels down, especially having already lost 3st. Well done and keep believing!

Reactions: 2 people

Andyfan099

Hi, I had diabetes stage 2, I was feeling very bad, but when I started to avoid soda drinks, junk food I feel much better.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had diabetes stage 2, I was feeling very bad, but when I started to avoid soda drinks, junk food I feel much better.
Hi @Andyfan099 , may I ask what you mean by stage 2 diabetes? Do you use a meter to see what your blood sugar is doing or do you rely on hba1c tests?

Henry7

Hi Madam, I was presribed novo mix 30 on level 8 twice a day , would that count as 16 units a day?