Sucralose and maltodexrine

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The way this research is being presented is very interesting - almost as if it’s the sweetener that’s to blame. Suspect the carbs on their own would have the same effect.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is really interesting and the topic of sweeteners has been discussed before as possibly having a role in the development of diabetes.

I find it particularly interesting as I have consumed a LOT of Diet Coke in my life - one of my very few vices. I am a slim T2 and did generally consume DC with carbohydrates - albeit usually “healthy” ones as I had a vegetarian diet before all this.

I still find it very hard to give up as I have given up so much to date. Maybe this will be the push I need.

Thanks for posting.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@Tophat1900 what do you mean?

Perhaps there's something to it and perhaps not. I tend to agree with @Goonergal that the carbs may well of done the same thing. Interesting, but wow, when they say that if you are eating fries then you would be better off having a sugar filled coke with them instead of the sugar free version... I just can't see how that is good.

Maybe more results will follow, but they will be using mice as study subjects apparently.... take that for what it's worth.

I know some people react badly to different sweeteners, Aspartame, Splenda etc.

Reactions: Flora123

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Before I became diabetic I never used sweeteners as I could not abide the taste nor had I ever tasted a diet coke or pepsi mind you that is anecdotal and entirely subjective so probably proves nothing.