Sudden high blood pressure

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always have normal blood pressure 120/80 110/70, sometimes 130/85. Being a blood donor I was monitored and my dad having high pressure and because he got an heath attack has a machine to automatically measure it. He bought a newer one, super automatic with bluetooth and gave me the older one some time ago. I sarted to measure more or less constantly the values, when they were normal I wasn't regular, but a coupe of weeks ago I noticed the levels were rising and going out and I startet to measure daily until Yesterday and today I got a spike of 170/110 that is a bit high. Tomorrow I'll phone my GP and ask for an appointment.

But before the GP talk, anyone ever had some surprise like this?
I've gained some weight but my BMI is 22.5. and BG control seems good, and cholesterol level were low. I don't feel nothing in particular, except a bit of tiredness after the workday.
Still monitory everydat the data

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test again after that 170/110? Sometimes we get blips on our BP monitors just like we do on our BS meters. Also, were you at rest, sitting comfortably relaxed, legs uncrossed? Otherwise, are the batteries low? Our BP fluctuates every few seconds.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I always have normal blood pressure 120/80 110/70, sometimes 130/85. Being a blood donor I was monitored and my dad having high pressure and because he got an heath attack has a machine to automatically measure it. He bought a newer one, super automatic with bluetooth and gave me the older one some time ago. I sarted to measure more or less constantly the values, when they were normal I wasn't regular, but a coupe of weeks ago I noticed the levels were rising and going out and I startet to measure daily until Yesterday and today I got a spike of 170/110 that is a bit high. Tomorrow I'll phone my GP and ask for an appointment.

But before the GP talk, anyone ever had some surprise like this?
I've gained some weight but my BMI is 22.5. and BG control seems good, and cholesterol level were low. I don't feel nothing in particular, except a bit of tiredness after the workday.
Still monitory everydat the data
Yes - my Blood Pressure usually runs around 110/60 except when I'm driving - right after driving it can sometime get up to 160/70. This is bad as I would drive to the doctor's office and the first thing they would do is take my blood pressure and it would be high. So I started measuring it all the time and that's when I discovered the driving correlation. It usually takes a good 40 minutes to go back down after driving and the funny thing is - I had no idea prior to my BP obsession - I always thought I was a relaxed driver - maybe I should yell and scream at other drivers - might keep my BPs down - LOL or get me arrested .....

Reactions: Bluetit1802

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday I'll go to the doc and make her the measuring and I'll listen what she has to say to me
I've also tried with a differen machine - got similar results...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wednesday I'll go to the doc and make her the measuring and I'll listen what she has to say to me
I've also tried with a differen machine - got similar results...

Good idea, do take along a diary with your bp readings.

Having CVD in your family you do have to be extra careful (I've CVD in my own family so keep a close eye on things like bp & cholesterol). Good luck Mike.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I've gone to the GP. She said that all seems ok except the high blod pressure, and gave me a prescription, actually are the same pills that my dad takes, and see if the situation changes in the next weeks. She was puzzled like me about what happened.

In september is going if it's the case to make some exams.

Last edited:

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I was visited by the family cardiologist that made me an ECD and a heart ecography too.
Se said tnat using lowering pressure drugs and control the weight I can control the high pressure, that seems not related to diabetes but is primary and due by familiarity.