Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Hey all

I have been diabetic for 6 years now, initially I had lots of problems with low sugar levels, but for the past 2 years or so my sugar levels have been consistently good, for the past 2 weeks or so, my sugar levels have been high (for seemingly no reason). I am doing the same amount of insulin (rapid and lantus) as usual, and the only difference is that I'm on holiday, and as a result not as active. However even when I have had previous holidays, I was still sitting around 6, where as now I'm consistently at 11. I have tried increasing my lantus by one unit and taking additional insulin, however this has seemingly had no effect.

I'm aware I might be subconsciously stressed about my upcoming exams, but stress has never affected my sugar levels to this extent before. I am also not currently sick

My hospital appointment is tomorrow, I'd just like some suggestions as to what might be the case.

Thanks
-Matt

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Matthew-G-Bell , could be all those factors. I've been off the past fortnight and have had to significantly increase my insulin.
Also even though you might not feel stressed it can still cause higher sugars than normal.
We had an inspection in work last year. I thought I was dealing with it but I actually had to increase my insulin by almost double and I wasn't eating during the day. The final day - my blood sugars plummeted. By the Weekend after I was back on the old rates.
Just another thought, if you are injecting, has your insulin gone off? Do you need to change the cartridge or do you need to change your injection site?

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Hi @Matthew-G-Bell , could be all those factors. I've been off the past fortnight and have had to significantly increase my insulin.
Also even though you might not feel stressed it can still cause higher sugars than normal.
We had an inspection in work last year. I thought I was dealing with it but I actually had to increase my insulin by almost double and I wasn't eating during the day. The final day - my blood sugars plummeted. By the Weekend after I was back on the old rates.
Just another thought, if you are injecting, has your insulin gone off? Do you need to change the cartridge or do you need to change your injection site?
Hey, I will be speaking to the team today as I have a hospital app.
Thanks for the suggestions, It's probably subconscious stress, or perhaps growth.

I change my injection sites very often, not sure about the cartridges but they seem to work fine as correction units do make a difference, I'll post back here after my appointment. Thanks

Reactions: 2 people