Sudden need for much less insulin.. Finally an answer?

hellobear007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, some of you may remember my posts back in January where literally overnight my insulin requirements more than halved and I was hospitalised with severe hypos and gastro problems.

After 5 months, over 2 stone lost without trying, continued gastro issues I finally have some answers (I hope!)

My Gastro doctor (who I already see for Gastroparesis) ran lots of tests. One of these was faecal elastase which has come back low. So now looking at possible Pancreatic Insufficiency. Makes sense as to why I can't tolerate any fat, losing weight etc

Wondering if this could also cause malabsorption of carbohydrates, hence the need for less insulin?

I also found out I have a rectal prolapse so lots going on but hoping I can get answers and start to feel a bit better.

It has been a long 5 months, during which I also became reactive to the Libre, leaving weeping sores so had to give my poor skin a break.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy summer... When the rain stops anyway

Diane

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I’m so glad you are getting answers, I hope all your ailments are brought under control soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear you're getting the treatment & answers you deserve! Hopefully, you'll know exactly what happened soon!
I had a period of awful lows last year and was (incorrectly) diagnosed with Addisons Disease. Ended up on steroids that I didn't need for months before they ran the tests for it. Awful!

Keep us updated, would love to know the final result. :happy:

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do believe it can happen.
I think something similar happened with me when I consumed kefir.
After consumption I did observe I was eating double the quantity of food I could before and bacteria in it might have caused more absorption of glucose then my pancreas could handle, leading to the death of beta cells.
This is just a theory though.