Sudden pattern change

anouser1

Hey all,

I was diagnosed around 6 months ago I was diagnosed as T1. I have pretty much the same breakfast most days and have always used 4 units to cover it and been perfect. However in the last 4 days, with the same units and food as ever but I was having levels of around 10. I've since increased the units I take to 5 and still getting levels around 8.

I'm obviously going to try increasing the units again but why has this suddenly changed over a day?

anouser1

Did you start at the same blood sugar level? Did you sleep well? Are you stressed? Are you going down with some bug? Are you pens working ok? Has your insulin been left out somewhere warm? Is your meter working ok? Did you do less exercise than usual over the weekend? Is the weather hotter? cooler? ...

There are many many things which affect our blood sugars beyond what we eat.

And, there is also the honeymoon factor if you have recently been diagnosed. Some find their pancreas gets a bit "spluttery" when first diagnosed as it may decided to produce insulin one day, not the next and then try again on the third day.

Out of all of the things you listed above, nothing has changed. Obviously there was hot weather in the UK recently, so I would maybe blame the pens there, but they're fine for every other meal of the day, the same as the meter. I know that I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase, but it seems weird to me that it's only at one time of day and having been pretty much exactly the same for months, it's now suddenly consistently higher at the moment and only for 1 meal

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

I was diagnosed around 6 months ago I was diagnosed as T1. I have pretty much the same breakfast most days and have always used 4 units to cover it and been perfect. However in the last 4 days, with the same units and food as ever but I was having levels of around 10. I've since increased the units I take to 5 and still getting levels around 8.

I'm obviously going to try increasing the units again but why has this suddenly changed over a day?

Hi @anouser1 ,

Here is a wild thought. You haven't mentioned what the breakfast is you have most days.

However, could it be the consistency regarding Ingredience.. (Bear with me.)

Something like a bowl of muesli due to packaging settlement may have less raisins or in than on other days? So hitting the boxed seam of dried fruit may have offset the overall carb count of the portion??
Possible it sounds more nuts than a bowl of muesli..

anouser1

Hi @anouser1 ,

Here is a wild thought. You haven't mentioned what the breakfast is you have most days.

However, could it be the consistency regarding Ingredience.. (Bear with me.)

Something like a bowl of muesli due to packaging settlement may have less raisins or in than on other days? So hitting the boxed seam of dried fruit may have offset the overall carb count of the portion??
Possible it sounds more nuts than a bowl of muesli..
I have porridge and toast (always same porridge and amount). Usually I'd use 4 units and starting at 4-5 is end up between 5-6. Now starting from 4-5 ending up at 8-11 using 5 units ☹️

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have porridge and toast (always same porridge and amount). Usually I'd use 4 units and starting at 4-5 is end up between 5-6. Now starting from 4-5 ending up at 8-11 using 5 units ☹️

Are these numbers at a 2 hour period after breakfast, or before the next meal, like lunch..?
Sorry for the questions, just trying to get a time scale on things.

anouser1

I wake up and have my breakfast pretty much straight away, so I have 4-5 or so right before breakfast and as I wake up.

I then am usually at 5-6 4 hours after breakfast, which is usually when I have lunch too. The 8-11 readings are at this time 4 hours after breakfast.

In recent days I've taken readings 2 hours after breakfast too and they're usually around the same as what the reading is after 4 hours, around 8-11.

Also don't worry about asking questions. You're helping me here not the other way haha @Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wake up and have my breakfast pretty much straight away, so I have 4-5 or so right before breakfast and as I wake up.

I then am usually at 5-6 4 hours after breakfast, which is usually when I have lunch too. The 8-11 readings are at this time 4 hours after breakfast.

In recent days I've taken readings 2 hours after breakfast too and they're usually around the same as what the reading is after 4 hours, around 8-11.

Also don't worry about asking questions. You're helping me here not the other way haha @Jaylee

Tell me something. would this be on a work day??
& if so. Does your place of work offer hot beverages from a machine??
I'm exploring all the options here based on my personal experience..

I'm trying to eliminate outside corruptive influences.? Coffee don't affect me but out of a machine, even pressing the right buttons & comming out in a meagre cup can push me up by as much as 3mmol. (Whitener.)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sleeping ok? I've had some odd numbers when I've been tired.

anouser1

Tell me something. would this be on a work day??
& if so. Does your place of work offer hot beverages from a machine??
I'm exploring all the options here based on my personal experience..

I'm trying to eliminate outside corruptive influences.? Coffee don't affect me but out of a machine, even pressing the right buttons & comming out in a meagre cup can push me up by as much as 3mmol. (Whitener.)
I'm a uni student who's currently on break between terms and have been for a few months. In all of these days, I haven't gone out of the house, showered, worked out or anything like that between when I've had breakfast and lunch.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a uni student who's currently on break between terms and have been for a few months. In all of these days, I haven't gone out of the house, showered, worked out or anything like that between when I've had breakfast and lunch.

I'm starting to wonder if the lack of your usuals in the morning along with possibly comming to the end of the honeymoon period.
Could be showing its effects a little? Is there any way you could do what you would normally do on a uni day & see if there is any signifigent change tomorrow..?? A process of eliminating possible corruptive influences on BGs.

To be fair, I wouldn't knock your numbers in the 5s if they are consistent the rest of the day. :)

anouser1

I'm starting to wonder if the lack of your usuals in the morning along with possibly comming to the end of the honeymoon period.
Could be showing its effects a little? Is there any way you could do what you would normally do on a uni day & see if there is any signifigent change tomorrow..?? A process of eliminating possible corruptive influences on BGs.

To be fair, I wouldn't knock your numbers in the 5s if they are consistent the rest of the day. :)
They normally are around there, but having this high reading is throwing off the rest of the day a little bit. I was diagnosed in early February and I've been off of uni since March and been having a pretty similar routine to now since then, so I can't see how a change would have affected it as there hasn't been any. I genuinely can't think of anything different that's happened since last Thursday where it started either. Before then it had been consistent 5-6 every day, then suddenly it's become 8-11s

anouser1

I am also nervous though to do more as although it will be the right thing to do at the moment, if my levels went back to normal I'd be doing way more than I need