Sudden rise in blood sugars

PeterFarrell

I am type 2 and have been on insulin for over 5 years and i would say my diabetes is well controlled. I normally take 40 units of Humulin at bedtime and my waking blood sugars are between 5&7. Over the last fortnight my waking blood sugars have been between 10&20. I have increased my units to 45 and then 50, this morning my blood sugars were 15?

Nothing has changed in my diet or exercise regime, does Humulin stop working over time? I am seeing my diabetic nurse this Tuesday.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you recently changed your Humulin cartridge or pen?
If nothing else has changed and you don't feel unwell, I would suggest checking your equipment.
- if you use a reusable pen, is it correctly dosing?
- change your insulin pen or cartridge as it may have got too hot or cold or you may have a dodgy batch. It is rare but it can happen.
- if you feel fine, is your meter working correctly? You can get test solution. Alternatively, you could test blood sugars of someone you know does not have diabetes. Or try a different meter.

My other suggestion is to test for Covid. You may be asymptomatic apart from affecting blood sugars as you body is fighting off the virus.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2 and have been on insulin for over 5 years and i would say my diabetes is well controlled. I normally take 40 units of Humulin at bedtime and my waking blood sugars are between 5&7. Over the last fortnight my waking blood sugars have been between 10&20. I have increased my units to 45 and then 50, this morning my blood sugars were 15?

Nothing has changed in my diet or exercise regime, does Humulin stop working over time? I am seeing my diabetic nurse this Tuesday.

Hi,

What have your BG levels been like regarding the rest of the day?

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.

Sounds like your liver is pumping out more glucose in the early morning than usual.