Sudden unexplained increase in blood glucose

Jon Mors

Hi All,

We have been managing my child's diabetes fairly well so far, and have kept blood glucose within the normal range, typically going no higher than 7.5 mmol after a meal. It's been a few months now since diagnosis.

In the last week or so we appear to have reduced control, with blood sugar going up to 10 mmol quite frequently after a meal (but comes down after 4-5 hours).

We've been doing low carb for a few months now and it's been going well. Our diet has been unchanged. The only thing that we have changed recently is that we moved from Lantus to Levemir for the basal insulin. Could this be a factor?

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the honeymoon period might be coming to an end, but I would have thought that that would be a gradual affair, rather than change over a few days/a week?

We've tried to reduce the carb content of the meals by c 20% but it doesn't seem to have much of an impact.

Any insights appreciated.

Jon

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin needs, sensitivity and ratio's are by no means static, they change all the time, especially in children.
The only thing that we have changed recently is that we moved from Lantus to Levemir for the basal insulin. Could this be a factor?
Is the Levemir taken once a day or split between morning and night?
Why did they change basal insulin?
What age is your child?

Jon Mors

Thanks for your reply.

10 years old.

It's split morning and night.

We changed as some research has suggested that there might be a cancer link with Lantus. It's not conclusive, but why take the risk? Hospital had no problem with it. It worked fine for a week or so before the glucose started becoming harder to control.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know about the insulin change. As @Antje77 says our sensitivity and ratios change constantly. Diabetes management is not a constant. However, the fact that the levels return to normal after 4-5 hours suggests the dose is correct but injection timing may be a factor. Your team will advise on this I’m sure.
One thing I will throw into the mix is hormones. Your child is now 10. I have worked with children this age for many years and hormones definitely become a thing around this time. This will be a big factor on diabetes management for the next few years. Again something to discuss with your team.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77