Suddenly high during the night

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband is 7 months into his diagnosis of diabetes type 1. He's just started using the freestyle libre (amazing) but we've noticed his levels are going high in the evenings some times as high as 18 any advice? Thank you x

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I'm going to ask a few more questions haha! What time does he normally have dinner and what time do the highs start? Do they last all night then suddenly drop in the early hours?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My husband is 7 months into his diagnosis of diabetes type 1. He's just started using the freestyle libre (amazing) but we've noticed his levels are going high in the evenings some times as high as 18 any advice? Thank you x

Get him to do a basal test, if his bg levels go high in the absence of food then you'll know it's his lantus that is the problem, he may need to revert to split-dosing to get a better 24 hour coverage, his DSN will advise:

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

If its not his basal then he may need to adjust his I:C ratio or check to make sure he is carb counting correctly. Good luck.

Reactions: himtoo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus lasts ~18 hours, so if he's going high in the evening after a lantus dose at 9pm the day before, that could be attributable to the lantus running out. Many people will split their lantus dose to tackle this, taking some at bedtime and some on waking. But the starting point to determine whether lantus is the issue is a basal test, or a few days of afternoon/evening basal testing.

The other thing I'd mention, as a note of caution, is are you basing the evening highs up to 18 purely on the libre or are you finger pricking to confirm? Libre, or any CGM, isn't 100% accurate and the loose their accuracy and the higher/lower ends of the scale. So if you finger prick you might find he's 12 and because, hopefully, your libre doesn't see 12 very often all it is seeing is high and it shows you 18 - when basal testing or determining dose adjustments use finger pricks for certainty.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @kellie lees
a lot of potential things happening with your thread topic !!

seven months in from diagnosis -- possibly honeymoon period ending so insulin needs increasing
( advice - talk to his DSN and basal testing )

evening highs -- within a food bolus dose timeframe or more than 5 hours post meal dose ?? your query is not that clear on the actual times IE : 10pm in the evening or 12 midnight etc etc , and what time was the evening meal ?

the libre is great -- but as @catapillar says -- blood testing to make sure Libre is keeping accurate is crucial for making change of dose decisions !!