Suet Pudding

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was watching a programme on TV and they mentioned suet pudding, which I’m now craving (the sweet type). I used to eat it when I was a kid (not diabetic then). Is there a diabetic friendly low carb way of making this?

I do have a low carb golden syrup. But after that I’m sort of stuck about the flour? These are the ingredients. I would skip the raisins, sultanas, currants as I never had them as a child. I don’t know if a sweetener could be used as an alternative to sugar?

8 oz self-raising flour
2 oz suet
2 tablespoons sugar (granulated or caster)
1 handful raisins, sultanas or currants
milk
butter for greasing

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel your pain, suet pudding was my favourite as a child (your mum must have had the same cook book as mine). Also loved savoury suet crust steak pie.
As a type 1 on insulin I have to say I now wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. The amount of insulin needed would just put me off.

Reactions: Eurobuff

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was watching a programme on TV and they mentioned suet pudding, which I’m now craving (the sweet type). I used to eat it when I was a kid (not diabetic then). Is there a diabetic friendly low carb way of making this?

I do have a low carb golden syrup. But after that I’m sort of stuck about the flour? These are the ingredients. I would skip the raisins, sultanas, currants as I never had them as a child. I don’t know if a sweetener could be used as an alternative to sugar?

8 oz self-raising flour
2 oz suet
2 tablespoons sugar (granulated or caster)
1 handful raisins, sultanas or currants
milk
butter for greasing
Many low carb bread recipes substitute wheat gluten for flour so that might work. I never liked the sweet suet variety but a low carb steak and kidney pudding would be wonderful so let me know how you get on.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many low carb bread recipes substitute wheat gluten for flour so that might work. I never liked the sweet suet variety but a low carb steak and kidney pudding would be wonderful so let me know how you get on.

I was hoping to try the sweet type somehow I’ve tried making cakes using almond flour, baking side and stevia, but although they looked the part, they had the “sweetener aftertaste”.