Sugar content of fruit

M

Member496333

I thought it was about fructose being processed differently to other sugars and potentially adding to fatty liver disease and therefore insulin resistance more than a direct impact here and now on blood sugars.

Yup. Fructose is the silent ninja kryptonite of insulin resistance. Whether or not it raises blood glucose directly - it doesn’t - is largely immaterial. Any insulin resistant diabetic consuming large quantities of fructose is very likely, unwittingly, exacerbating their condition. Even if only a little bit.

Griffomarkii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought it was about fructose being processed differently to other sugars and potentially adding to fatty liver disease and therefore insulin resistance more than a direct impact here and now on blood sugars.

I assume you are correct but I haven’t been questioned regarding my liver either....

M

Member496333

I assume you are correct but I haven’t been questioned regarding my liver either....

Hepatic fat is the harbinger of type 2 diabetes. Followed by pancreatic fat. If you are T2DM then it’s fairly certain that you have, or have had, some degree of fatty liver. Not that I’m suggesting you have cause for concern right now, and I’m definitely not telling you what to put in your own body, but just wanted to clarify the fatty liver situation. Fatty liver and fatty pancreas are at the very heart of the disease. Fix them both and it goes away. From this perspective it’s easy to see why some view fructose as their worst enemy :)

Reactions: HSSS