Sugar Control

Hello; i am a 44 years old male, diabetic since 2006. i had changed my habits of daily life recently like, waking up at 6 in the morning had a cup of warm water with half lemon juice, brisk walk of 30-45 min returned back @ 7, having break fast @ 7:45 with a paratha of whole wheat (fried bread) with omelet along with a cup of tea of tea whitener. be in the office at 9, having two cups of teas of whitener upto 2, at 2 i having a bowl full of green salad containing carrots, cucumbers, beets and some sliced of guava etc... having a cup of green tea between 3-4pm. having a cup of whitener tea between 5-6pm, having dinner @ 8pm with a cup of soup, two chapati (bread plain) of whole wheat with chicken/beef curry or vegetable curry. having bed green tea with lemon and candrel. watch TV for an hour and go to sleep between 10 & 11. i am hypertensive, have osteoarthritis as well. my last a1c was 6.8. my medicines are as follows: -
1- Sitaglumet 50/1000 1-0-1 after each meal.
2- carveda 12.5mg 1-0-1 after an hour of taking sitaglumet
3- Benprost 1-0-0
4- co-easyday 1-0-0
5- methycobol 1-0-0
6- osonate 1000 1-0-0

this medicine was changed 10 days ago, before that i was on following medicine since last 2 years with a pathetic daily schedule: -
1- gulucophage 850mg 1-0-1
2- amriyl 1g 1-0-0
3- co-easyday 1-0-0
4- methycobol 1-0-0
5- osonate 1000 1-0-0

before 10 days my sugar readings were usually read as 150 - 170 fastings, 200-250 random. after the change of lifestyle and medicine course today i have seen my fasting on 157, yesterday it was 168. random is ranging between 200-235. pls tell me why i am not able to control my sugar, today after a vigorous walk in the morning in the fasting status when i have checked my sugar after 15min of arriving back at home it was 157. i am worried pls help me
regards
Naveed

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Naveed Nabi Khan,

Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease, so it generally gets worse with time. Maybe this is the main problem in your case?

There is actually another type of diabetes called LADA which is similar to type 1 but takes longer to manifest, and is often misdiagnosed as Type 2. Medication for type 2, as well as lifestyle changes, are less effective if you have LADA; if you have LADA you will probably need insulin injections. I am not sure if you have LADA, but given how young you are and your healthy lifestyle it's a possibility you may want to ask your doctor about.

Note that you are having a reasonable portion of carbohydrates with each meal - bread in the morning, carrots, beets and guava for lunch, chapati for dinner. Some diabetics find cutting these things out, and eating a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet, very effective in managing their diabetes.

We are not doctors, of course, and can only talk from personal experience. It's best to talk about these things with a doctor (but a good doctor can be hard to find, unfortunately).

All the best.

thanks mentat:
i dont have lada that i know. i have a good consultant, i visited him on fortnightly basis. the reason to register with this portal is to share my day to day concerns with like minded people, which certainly not possible to share with your doctor in a sitting of 15 min after 15 days. thanks in deed to share your views with me, kindly keep sharing,
cheers

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, we all understand the frustration of putting in a mountain of effort just to watch our sugars get worse! Your current lifestyle is inspiring, keep up the good work, and do have a look around for tips on how to achieve better results.

jason32

Ok it am also an Asian and I know how Pakistani/Indian food is bad for health. I am 40 and I've been a diabetic for 8 years and never in my life I was able to get better control of my BG until recently when I completely changed my lifestyle. My fasting levels used to be around 12-14 sometimes even higher and random around 14-16. I used to take high dose of insulin and metformin and glyclazide but my levels never came down.

Then I found a way to turn all that around and here's what I did:

I completely removed Bread/roti from my diet that's an enemy to diabetics. Even brown bread increases BG.

Use oil spray for cooking food, no more oily food.

No more or very little meat every week, replaced that with green vegetables and beans and chik peas for protein.

No fruit juices replaced that with vegitable juice.

Absolutely no diet coke or any other diet drinks, only water or vegi juice.

And obviously I spend an hr at the gym every day.

That my friend has changed my blood sugar levels to a point where my nurse thinks we should try stopping taking any medications and see how my body reacts.

My fasting levels now come around 5.3 and 2 hrs after the meal around 6.5.

great Jason keep it up and pray for me too.... that's the way i have started thinking now and present 180degree change in my routine is the proof of it. but again it leaves me with de motivation when i see my sugar level high after such high efforts. today after 2 hrs of breakfast my insulin level was 205. :( . once i get hold of insulin i will certainly get rid of the medicines.

here is a problem with me. 10 days ago i got me A1C report that was 8.4, i saw my consultant he added Gliclazide - 30mg before each meal the dosage is 30mg before breakfast and 30mg before dinner. during this treatment i have kept checking my sugar readings. i found high sugar i.e. 125 to 205 during the fasting and 200 to 285 after 2 hours of breakfast. 97 to 165 before lunch and 145 to 188 after lunch. 125 to 150 before dinner and 145 to 185 after dinner/bed time. what the hack is this. i am very confuse. please share your knowledge with me. i have been advised for the urine DR before the next meeting which is due after 10 days.....