sugar free biscuits

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Yes I have tried the biscuits - found them in some garden centers - they are very nice but still pushed up the blood glucose levels so only have as a treat now and then - girls gotta eat biscuits now and then - just don't know if sugar free is good enough.
If anyone has a really good home made version that is sugar free and carb free then please let me know....

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The carbs are 8.7 per biscuit and a touch of sugar

I have the occasional Gullon Sugar Free Maria biscuit (which my local Tesco sells on the "outlet" aisle) and the nutritional info is as below

Typical values per biscuit (6.0g)
Energy 25kcal
Energy 104kj
Protein 0.5g
Carbohydrate 4.5g
of which sugars <0.5g
of which polyols 1.1g
of which starch 3.2g
Fat 0.7g
of which saturates 0.1g
of which mono-unsaturates 0.5g
of which polyunsaturates 0.1g
Cholesterol <0.3mg
Fibre 0.1g
Sodium 0.02g

The polyol in it is maltilol which some people find affects them just the same as sugar but I find it doesn't affect my BS. They have a high carb percentage but because they're so light, there's only 4.5g of carbs in them (including the 1.1g of polyols so it's more like 3.4g if polyols don't affect you)

I wouldn't eat loads of them, but I do have the odd one or two with a cup of tea and not seen any adverse reaction

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think if your going to try something that says really low carb or sugar then do homework before purchase cause yes I might say it's 4.5 carb but really it's not.........false advertisement

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think if your going to try something that says really low carb or sugar then do homework before purchase cause yes I might say it's 4.5 carb but really it's not.........false advertisement

The figures I quoted above are the same as on the packet: Which biscuits are you seeing that are 8.7g? The Maria biscuits can't contain that many carbs as they only weigh 6g each ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
High bulkbiker what I'll do is ask my niece to try and find a homemade digestive biscuit recipe or she will try and create one herself cause she's really into cooking and she reads all the heathly magazines

Crispy17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep at near as makes no difference 67% of carbs I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Fortunately I don't miss biscuits, mashed potato on the other hand :bigtears:

Janey mcp

Hi Radioman
I have just noticed your post about Gullon biscuits. I have tried various types in their amazing range, all of them being sugar free, low carb. They are readily available in supermarkets in Spain (where they are made) and Portugal. Unfortunately they are unavailable in UK supermarkets (I emailed their sales department) and also spoke to Asda who do not plan to stock them. If their figures stated on the box are correct they are ideal, and even taste good. Perhaps if enough people are interested the manufacturer may supply. Their range includes digestives, fibre and I think wafer biscuits.
Hope this helps.
Just googled and found that the digestives are stocked in poundshop. Here i come!