Sugar free drinks and blood sugar

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
out of curiosity I decided to see what effect a 330ml can of Pepsie max cherry would have on my blood sugar. After not eating breakfast or lunch today my blood sugar was 5.9 at 6.18 pm. I drank a can of Pepsie max. 10 minutes later my blood sugar was 5.2 and 30 minutes later it was 4.9. I haven't a clue whether this is good or bad. I am now going to eat some food and do another check later and will post the results.

Up dated 20.26pm Blood sugar 5.7 after a meal of chicken salad. It would appear that sugar free Pepsie does not affect blood sugar.

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
out of curiosity I decided to see what effect a 330ml can of Pepsie max cherry would have on my blood sugar. After not eating breakfast or lunch today my blood sugar was 5.9 at 6.18 pm. I drank a can of Pepsie max. 10 minutes later my blood sugar was 5.2 and 30 minutes later it was 4.9. I haven't a clue whether this is good or bad. I am now going to eat some food and do another check later and wil post the results.

it is excellent, but I don´t think that it is in any way due to the sugarfree Pepsie, I think it is only due to you not eating carbs at all...
most experiences a somewhat raised blood glucose in the mornings, it is natural that fasting blood glucose can be raised even when being fasting, it lowers over the morning closer at midday...this raise is comming from the liver that can transform stored protein into glucose when needed and when expected to be needed like in the morning where it is many hours since last meal..

so very normal that your blood glucose is raised first thing in the morning and then lowers if you are not one of the few unlucky ones where it contimues to raise untill you eat a heavy meal...

your numbers are in the non-diabetic level
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that Diet Coke has no impact on my blood sugar, whether I drink it as part of a meal or on its own. However I have cut down on the amount of it I drink drastically - all those additives can't be good for you, but I do enjoy it!

Reactions: KezG

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find that Diet Coke has no impact on my blood sugar, whether I drink it as part of a meal or on its own. However I have cut down on the amount of it I drink drastically - all those additives can't be good for you, but I do enjoy it!
I drink coke zero by the case. It has no discernible effect on my BG. I shudder to what normal coke would do, although quite honestly I dislike the taste.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw my DN for the first time a week ago and she asked if I drank diet drinks. I said maybe one can in the evening and then not every evening, and she told me to stop drinking it. I went away thinking "why?" My other half said (with hindsight) I should have told her 4 cans a night, every night, and maybe she would have said just have two! :banghead:

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found it interesting that after not eating any food since getting up this morning I had normal sugar levels. Except when the reading dropped from 5.9 to 5.2 and the 4.9 after drinking the Pepsie max. But still normal levels. I had a check up yesterday at the surgery with blood samples taken so it will be interesting to see the results.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have the same type of experience although for me it is diet coke. I believe drinking a can causes an insulin response without the sugar hit so it makes my blood sugar drop a bit.