Sugar free squash.

Nicksellick

I wonder if anyone has an opinion on the following?
I don’t really enjoy drinking water so Intend to drink sugar free squash. Or I think it’s called “no added sugar”.
As we get more info on sweeteners, their effect on the gut biome and other negative press, I’m wondering if the amount one would consume in a weak squash would be significant, or is the warning more aimed at people consuming UPF’s in larger quantities?
I’ve researched what I can find, but haven’t found an answer.
Anyone?
Cheers
Nick

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So far I think the evidence is that some sweeteners are less bad than others, and the ones usually used in no added sugar drinks are hitting the press.
Have you tried slices of cucumber or lemon with some ice too? Or even a few crushed raspberries?

Reactions: Michellenz

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal opinion is that taking in sweet tasting things (even if low sugar) still sends messages to the brain that food is coming (even if it isnt) and therefore messes with the signalling to the metabolism, not just the insulin response but the other many other processes too. Ghrelin and leptin to name but 2. Some people would include coffee with milk or cream in that category too.
I think there were studies done in the US that even chewing sugar free gum caused weight gain (and no I can't remember what study where).

I don't think there's hard and fast evidence out there yet, but imho , I find the longer you can leave anything sweet between meals, and longer between meals, must do better for our bodies.

Have a read of Metabolical by Robert Lustig as a start, much more for us to learn and discover yet methinks

(Btw I find it difficult to practise what I preach, I'm still getting there too! :angelic: )

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
If you can mostly avoid artificial sweeteners as well as sugar that will help your taste change from perferring sweet to preferring savoury and make low carb life easier in the long run.