Sugar free syrups

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi :) I have seen these mentioned a few times and have not seen any locally. I'd love a sugar free maple flavoured syrup if it's available. Where do you get yours please and are they OK BG wise ?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't have them in NZ but they are readily available online, I have seen them on Amazon and eBay.

Reactions: daisyduck

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Have you tried sugarlite.com they only stock sugar free foods

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks 4ratbags and eldergarth . I'll have a look.
The American low carb recipes often mention them in several flavours. Has anyone on here tried them ?

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Found this on the sugarlite site. Confused by the info as it says 76 % carbs but lists the sugar as alcohol sugars ?
https://www.sugarlite.co.uk/syrups-spreads/syrups/jo-lo-sugar-free-maple-syrup-400ml.html
I've googled it and it's says ....sugar alcohols found in foods are sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol isomalt and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates . Sugar alcohols come from plant products such as fruits and berries . Carbs in these plants products are altered through a chemical process .

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey daisyduck, be careful with the sugar alcohols as they can upset your gut and have you running to the loo as you in the UK say! Not great really, as all artificial and can still lead one to cravings for the real thing. There actually is a connection in some people's brains that make them crave the real stuff as the brain cannot decipher between real sugars and the artificial ones. Of course what happens is that insulin is released as a result and you know that means the vicous cycle begins again! The KetogenicGirl, Vanessa Spina talk about it in her book Keto Essentials (pg 89) - a really great book for info as well as yummy recipes.

So are you better to have a teaspoon or two of maple syrup with protein/fat to ward off the quick rise or try the fake stuff and maybe get a similar response!! Trust you are doing well, daisyduck....Blessings/L

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I made the low carb pancakes the other day and really fancied maple syrup, but I think I'll pass on this stuff.

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the ones from Walden Farms I use Maple and Bluberry. Never baked with them might have to try that. The others seem to be major carb fests.