Sugar In Blood

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by my Diabetic Nurse that u can't get the sugar out of your Blood once it's in and that all this about flushing it out by drinking loads of water is a myth....what i can't get my head round though is if that's the case how is it when i change my diet my numbers plummet were's the sugar gone...surely if your readings go lower this must mean some sugar as left the blood!!! it makes no sense!!!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She's talking nonsense. Drinking lots of water helps protect your kidneys.

You have sugar in your blood because you are insulin resistant. Your liver and cells are packed full of it, so with nowhere to go it ends up in the blood.

Reactions: Julie27318

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She's talking nonsense. Drinking lots of water helps protect your kidneys.

You have sugar in your blood because you are insulin resistant. Your liver and cells are packed full of it, so with nowhere to go it ends up in the blood.
Wish there was a way to get rid of insulin resistance!!!i'm trying lose weight was told good news is that the fat comes from round your organs first....that's if that's what's caused it but my Dad as it too and he's stones lighter than me and more active!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your blood cells are completely replaced every 12 weeks or so. This is why they don't, as a rule, do HbA1c tests within 12 weeks.

Once you have got your numbers down to normal levels, you won't have sugar in your blood. That's my understanding of it. Happy to be corrected.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you following a low carb diet and self testing?

D

Deleted Account

Hang on a minute. Don't we need some sugar in our blood to survive?
Otherwise we go hypo.
With diabetes, we may have too much but there is a good reason why we go hypo if our BG is below 4.0mmol/l.
Insulin provides the key to get the sugar into our cells to give us energy. Without insulin (as in type 1) or if our insulin is not working properly (type 2), we are missing that key and the sugar builds up in our blood which makes us ill.

This video explains it better than I can: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics

Reactions: lindijanice

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
It is complete nonsense. Diabetics with high blood sugar are always thirsty as the poor ol' kidneys suck up every last drop of fluid in order to make copious quantities of pee as the main mechanism of disposing of excess sugar. Sugar levels build up when it can't be disposed of quick enough. A solid healthy male's kidneys can only process about 100mL / minute of blood and we have several litres of it.

This is one of the reasons why many newly diagnosed diabetics see the quack complaining of piddling all the time and drinking water by the bucket.

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your blood cells are completely replaced every 12 weeks or so. This is why they don't, as a rule, do HbA1c tests within 12 weeks.

Once you have got your numbers down to normal levels, you won't have sugar in your blood. That's my understanding of it. Happy to be corrected.
I hope you're right xfieldok...i like the sound of that!!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
It is true. Red blood cells have a life cycle of about 3 months and the dead ones are removed by our natural waste removal systems, turned into chocolate logs and flushed away for fish food.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Just the Aussie way with words. We copied the Paddys and Poms.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Your DN is a bit .... erm .... rubbish tbh. You may find it easier like this, when non Diabetics eat a normal meal of lets say fish, chips and mushy peas the carbs in that meal are turned into glucose and they then produce insulin to get the glucose into the cells in the blood stream. They will spike a little but return to pre chip butty levels fairly quickly and easily. When those of us with insulin resistance eat the same meal we spike higher and longer because the glucose cannot get into the cells as efficiently, it sticks onto the outside of the cell like stalker at your window. This is called glycation and is what is measured when you have a HbA1c. Our livers don't help much and our pancreas's load our bloodstream with insulin to try to force the glucose into the cells. This is not a good thing because too much insulin can be harmful, too.
Classic signs of Type 2 Diabetes are fatigue (because not enough energy is being had by the cells), excess urination (because your body trys desperately to try to get rid of excess glucose) and peeing which is a result of trying to sate the thirst and in tandem with the kidneys to try and rid the body of that excess glucose.

And finally, you are not a clone of your Dad. We all react differently and have different levels of insulin resistance or carb intolerance and we all store excess carbs as fat either around the waistline or the organs or both.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Urine test strips how does he/she think they work if sugar stays in blood how does it get into urine. Nonsense.