Type 1 Sugar level help

Brad94

Hello I am sorry to be a bother to you all today, I was wondering if anyone could help me I'm a little confused in regards to counting Carbs, ill list my issue below.

Before a meal my sugars can be 7, I do my insulin 20mins before my meal, for breakfast it was porridge and a banana, it started off fine but then my Sugars just went up and up so I had to do a correction, I did 5 units for my breakfast.

So for dinner, I decided to divide the grams of carbs by 5 instead of 10, SO for dinner I did 14units but I am now having the same issue. before dinner, it was 8.3 it's now 10.9

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Brad94 and welcome to the forums. Under your avatar it just states newbie, so are you insulin dependent T2 or a T1?

Generally speaking a rise of 2mmol between pre and post eating readings is pretty good. But your starting point was a little high at 8.3 so how long was this after the previous meal? And how long after eating was the 10.9?

When you write "it started off fine" what exactly do you mean by this, what is the time period?

Brad94

Hi @Brad94 and welcome to the forums. Under your avatar it just states newbie, so are you insulin dependent T2 or a T1?

Generally speaking a rise of 2mmol between pre and post eating readings is pretty good. But your starting point was a little high at 8.3 so how long was this after the previous meal? And how long after eating was the 10.9?

When you write "it started off fine" what exactly do you mean by this, what is the time period?
Sorry I am type 1, just been given the Libre sensor so have now can see how crazy my sugars really go lol.

had breakfast at 10:48 AM worked nightshift hence the late breakfast. Sugars were 7.1 then at 11:51 - 9.3 and by 12:18 they hit 13.7.

For dinner, I had homemade burgar and chips, @5;37 they were 8.4 and then at 6:31 9.3 and my recent test at 8;02 they are now 13.8.

im on novorapid and lantus

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry I am type 1, just been given the Libre sensor so have now can see how crazy my sugars really go lol.

had breakfast at 10:48 AM worked nightshift hence the late breakfast. Sugars were 7.1 then at 11:51 - 9.3 and by 12:18 they hit 13.7.

For dinner, I had homemade burgar and chips, @5;37 they were 8.4 and then at 6:31 9.3 and my recent test at 8;02 they are now 13.8.

im on novorapid and lantus

And is this pattern fairly normal for you? Are you new to diabetes and still finding your way?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
had it for 10 years but just got this new way of checking sugars and just started with this new insulin.

Ok so I feel you're hiding stuff ;)

You have changed insulin, what were you on before and how have your doses changed? ( we can't give direct specific advice about dosage on the forum.)

Can you elaborate on the 'new way of checking sugars' ? What does this mean?

Brad94

haha Nah not hiding stuff just not very good at explaining things, Yeah I was using an old monitor for a while but got the arm sensor and phone app, so i can keep track of it much easier, I was on what they called "kid insulin" for ages because I well wasn't looking after myself but now a lil older and wiser. so they gave me the Lantus stuff now with novorapid.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So you have freestyle libre now? Have you checked the readings against an actual blood glucose level from a finger prick?

If you changed insulin, have your doses changed? Have you done basal testing since the change?