Sugar level

Jen6

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes one year ago but by April I was off all my medication and control my sugar levels by low carb diet.
Friday I was diagnosed with Bells Palsy affecting my left side of face. Now taking 12 tablets all in one go of steriods for one week.
Now my sugar levels have gone very quickly from the 5s and 6s to the 13s. Was due for a Hba1c test next week but feel its pointless now as the results won't reflect a true reading. Last result was 39.
Has anyone had the same experiences with Steriods.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had the same experiences with Steriods.
I have thankfully never needed steroids, but they're very well known for raising glucose levels.
I used steroids in the search bar on the top of the page for you and there are a lot of threads with steroids in the title, you may want to see if there's something there which can help you: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/search/180438765/?q=steroids&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

You might also want to change the title of your thread to include the word steroids to catch the attention of other members having experience with them. Now it only says 'sugar level', no hint to what your question is about.

Good luck, hope your levels will return to normal shortly, and the Bell's palsy will get better soon as well!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - do a search - there have been several threads about steroids raising glucose levels, and some people are on them long term My experience has been a couple of times with single cortico-steroid injections, and my glucose levels went up almost immediately and remained higher for several days.

Your HbA1c unfortunately will be accurate, because your glucose levels have risen, though this shouldn't have too much of an impact if the tablets are only just for a week. and your levels should come back down again once the course is finished. But it's no bad reflection on you - all sorts of things beyond our immediate control can and do affect glucose levels - it's part of diabetic life and we just have to accept that this happens. It's more important that you get the Bells Palsy sorted than worrying about a minor blip in your HbA1c.

I get slight variations in my HbA1c results all the time, and my last check was (due to stress and illness) highest since just after diagnosis seven years ago, but I know that low carbing keeps my glucose pretty well under control long term.

Lilylala

Hi back in January I had hydro diliatation to my frozen shoulder with cortisol injection and that played my readings up for a few weeks , it is known that steroids can effect your readings as I was pre warned to keep an eye on mine at the time and adjust my insulin hope this information helps .

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately I have never had steroids but I have heard they can increase your sugar levels