Type 1 Sugar levels after eating

Scoobmeister1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been type 1 for over 6 months now and my levels when testing before eating are now usually in the range of 5 to 6.5. All good :).
However, after eating my sugar levels regularly go up to 11 and then after two hours drop back down to under 7. I have tried taking novorapid 10,20 or 30 mins before eating and nothing seems to make a difference. Usually within 40 minutes of eating my sugar level is up at 11. Very frustrating!!

Should levels get as high as 11? Am i doing something wrong? Should i be using something other than Novorapid? I am concerned about the long term effects of this.

Hopefully somebody has experienced this before and has the solution :).

All help welcomed!!

shayshay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How much Novorapid are you on? Are you carb counting? What type of carbs do you usually have at mealtimes and how much?

Scoobmeister1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much Novorapid are you on? Are you carb counting? What type of carbs do you usually have at mealtimes and how much?
I am on 9 units of novorapid. I am carb counting. Tonight i had a turkey escalope and chips. Not too many chips. I was 5.4 before eating but only had my novorapid five minutes before eating. From reading other posts it looks like i should be injecting between 30 - 45 minutes before eating. Thats my new plan anyway.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So you're on 9 units of novorapid per meal and eating the same amount of food each time? Or do you carb count and give yourself insulin based on your insulin: carb ratio? There is a difference between the two.

Obviously, what you're experiencing isn't optimal, but it's not terribly far off from how a healthy pancreas works. Non-diabetics eat, see a short spike (although rarely to 11+) and then their levels correct within 2 hours.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, carb counting is where you match the Bolus to the food you eat and not the other way round so the units will vary with each meal. Don't worry too much about spikes before the 2 hour point but always try to keep the carbs low-GI and fat also helps smooth absorption.