Type 1 Sugar Pills

soundguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I am type 1 Diabetic, like a lot of you here When my blood sugar goes low, I eat sugary sweets to bring my blood sugar back up. I mainly eat Haribo and Jelly Babies. But, I can't help but feel all this sugar is rotting my teeth. I wondered if anyone knew of any sugar pills/capsules that exist? Ones that you don't chew - you simply swallow them and they dissolve in your stomach. I sometimes make my own by taking apart a Paracetamol caplet and filling it with sugar.

Tl;dr - Does anyone know of sugar pills/capsules that you can buy, that you swallow and don't chew so they don't rot your teeth?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless you are having lots of hypos or overtreating the ones you have, the impact of your sweets will be minimal.
Clean your teeth (and gums) regularly and your teeth should be fine unless you are especially prone to teeth decay.

After nearly 20 years with Type 1, treating hypos with GlucoTabs, I have no fillings and all my teeth.

And I would be concerned by the choking risk when hypo if I was treating it with something you don't chew or crunch.

• Agree
Reactions: Rokaab

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What about gels? You can swallow them without them really touching the sides. That said, an emergency responder (don't ask) told me to physically rub the gel into my gums for the fastest absorption. I do it with my tongue rather than finger, but finger probably easier for a friend if you are really low :playful:.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A friend of mine used to carry sugar cubes in case of hypos my brother in law always has a Mars bar with him but a lot of people say that sugar in a liquid form acts faster than in a solid form like sweets sadly Lucozade no longer fits the bill.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
you can carry soda or juice or just sweet tea. As a remedy for hypoglycemia, it is also effective. sometimes I relieve hypoglycemia by putting a spoonful of loose sugar on the base of my tongue and washing it down with water, but this can only be done in an apartment, not on the street

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found the fastest low treatment for me is juice. Also no chewing, so it's fits your requirement.

I usually chase juice (and glucose tabs) with a glass of water and if it's an overnight low, I swish the water in my mouth to get the sugar off my teeth.

If I'm treating an overnight low with something that slower to release, like a part of a granola bar, and I'm awake enough, I give my teeth a quick brush to get the bits out of my teeth.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi. I am type 1 Diabetic, like a lot of you here When my blood sugar goes low, I eat sugary sweets to bring my blood sugar back up. I mainly eat Haribo and Jelly Babies. But, I can't help but feel all this sugar is rotting my teeth. I wondered if anyone knew of any sugar pills/capsules that exist? Ones that you don't chew - you simply swallow them and they dissolve in your stomach. I sometimes make my own by taking apart a Paracetamol caplet and filling it with sugar.

Tl;dr - Does anyone know of sugar pills/capsules that you can buy, that you swallow and don't chew so they don't rot your teeth?
Bear in mind that 1 teaspoon of sugar is approximately 5g of sugar. You would need to swallow many capsules to reach an effective amount! As others have said, capsules might choke you when you are not fully cognitive. How about carrying fruit juice in a container and a small bottle of water to flush your mouth up after you have recovered? I see I have been beaten to it!