Sugar spikes and exercise

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my sugars were 5.5 this morning. Decided to help a neighbour and strimmed and mowed their small lawn, took about an hour - no rushing.
Wasn’t feeling so great so tested and had a reading of 10.2! Retested and got 8.7 - better but still quite raised.
Tested again an hour later and had 7.8.

What do people think is going on? Is it just an indication of how unfit I am? Or, that I’d let myself get dehydrated? I mean the normal advice is that exercise lowers your levels as the muscles use up the available glucose. On this evidence I’d be better continuing as a couch potato!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find different types of exercise affect me differently and when first diagnosed, those that put me up did so more dramatically than once I dropped weight (I was v large) and got fitter.

Aerobic or competitive activity reliably increases my blood sugars - except swimming which drops it quite dramatically, whereas walking slowly or Pilates, for example puts it down.

Lifting weights seems to depend on the time of day - up in the morning, down or neutral later in the day.

I think the increases are all part of the liver trying to be ‘helpful’. I do usually see a corresponding drop later in the day after exercise.

Reactions: xgemmiex

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Did you eat anything after the 5.5 blood test ?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I find if I don't eat something before work or a work out of any description, I will continue to spike in the morning until I have worked it off. I eat straight from the fridge lettuce or a slice of corned beef seems to work for me.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I don't eat something before work or a work out of any description, I will continue to spike in the morning until I have worked it off. I eat straight from the fridge lettuce or a slice of corned beef seems to work for me.
Yes, I’m familiar with dawn phenomenon but this spike was higher than I’ve ever experienced caused by that since I started testing i.e. the last three months

Last edited: