Sugar spikes

Lianne0204

Hello guys, I am a t1d and have been for 20 years now.

I recently bought a couple of low sugar bits from skinny food co and have been trialling them with my bh levels for the past week or so.

I found a real spike in sugar levels when I ate certain ones. For example today, before lunch my bg was 4.6 now 4 hours post lunch my levels are 9.9. I have done absolutely nothing different besides having one of these products so am confident this is the reason.

Do others find they randomly spike when eating things like this? I find the spikes are quite stubborn after these products too.

Safe to say I won’t be eating them any more, just would appreciate any advice.

Thank You

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I found a real spike in sugar levels when I ate certain ones. For example today, before lunch my bg was 4.6 now 4 hours post lunch my levels are 9.9. I have done absolutely nothing different besides having one of these products so am confident this is the reason.
How many carbs does it say on the package?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If they are very low carb, I would also look at the protein content.
When we eat very low or no carbs our bodies will break down the protein and our blood sugars will rise if we take no insulin.
I find this if I eat omelettes (just egg and cheese) and my blood sugars rise.
In my experience insulin to protein ratios are more complex to work out than insulin to carb ratios as they vary depending up on the type of protein. This is one of the reasons I avoid a low carb diet - for me it is harder to manage with Type 1 than a "normal" diet.

Reactions: ewelina

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys, I am a t1d and have been for 20 years now.

I recently bought a couple of low sugar bits from skinny food co and have been trialling them with my bh levels for the past week or so.

Do others find they randomly spike when eating things like this? I find the spikes are quite stubborn after these products too.

Safe to say I won’t be eating them any more, just would appreciate any advice.

Thank You

Hi,

It seems the company you mentioned focuses pretty heavily on calorie counting? (Unless i've missed something.)
I'm not certain which products you chose..

Taking an example with this one product below.?
So when something like this boasts "25 calories per serving?"
https://theskinnyfoodco.com/collect...ocaholic-milk-chocolate-flavoured-spread-350g

You maybe looking at Nearly 5 gram of carb in that "serving?" https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritionscience/nutrients-food-and-ingredients/carbohydrate.html

Whatever our choice of food. the primary objective is the carb content. Then getting your bolus to compliment with the BGs.
Did you take a reading 2 hour later?

But to be fair, there are times when BGs go skew on anything. it could have been worse than a "9.9." ;)

Lianne0204

Hi,

It seems the company you mentioned focuses pretty heavily on calorie counting? (Unless i've missed something.)
I'm not certain which products you chose..

Taking an example with this one product below.?
So when something like this boasts "25 calories per serving?"
https://theskinnyfoodco.com/collect...ocaholic-milk-chocolate-flavoured-spread-350g

You maybe looking at Nearly 5 gram of carb in that "serving?" https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritionscience/nutrients-food-and-ingredients/carbohydrate.html

Whatever our choice of food. the primary objective is the carb content. Then getting your bolus to compliment with the BGs.
Did you take a reading 2 hour later?

But to be fair, there are times when BGs go skew on anything. it could have been worse than a "9.9." ;)

Hey! Yes it does seem they focus a lot on calorie counting but I think I fell for the ‘diabetic friendly’ motto on some of the products.

Yes my reading 2 hours later were 6, then after about another hour and a half or so up to 9.9.
Oh I know, it could be a lot worse! Just really trying to keep them in range at the moment, my hospital have set mine to between 4-7.8 as wanting to have children x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! Yes it does seem they focus a lot on calorie counting but I think I fell for the ‘diabetic friendly’ motto on some of the products.

Yes my reading 2 hours later were 6, then after about another hour and a half or so up to 9.9.
Oh I know, it could be a lot worse! Just really trying to keep them in range at the moment, my hospital have set mine to between 4-7.8 as wanting to have children x

Hi,

Everybody should have a little treat from time to time.. :)

The "Diabetic friendly" stuff gifted me in the past has always been a bit of a false sense of security luring wild card for me.?

With luck, somebody may come along with a magic formula for dealing metabolically with these products?

To be fair to you. (& all of us.) there is always gonna be the odd "blip."

Good luck with the family thing.

Reactions: Lianne0204

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did the products that spiked you have different sweeteners or other ingredients to the others?
I'm interested as lot of these 0 sugars products don't seem to list any sweetners so I'm wondering where the "sweet" comes from? Chemicals from a laboratory that don't have to be on the label perhaps?

I read on other forums of people using loads of things that give sweet flavour at no apparent cost to health that seem to good to be true so I am avoiding them until I know more