1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugar Tax - Failed?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Jim Lahey, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

That might well be right.

2. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

So do we go with Aseem Malhotra on this or do we just cherry pick out only the elements of his thinking that suits?

3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by this? I have a lot of respect for Malhotra and he has achieved a great deal. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he says. It's possible to agree on some matters and disagree on others. It happens all day every day in all walks of life. Blind allegiance is unnecessary and, in my opinion, not very productive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have a friend working for Swiss Re. and she informs me that they are looking into the food companies becoming liable for putting hidden sugars in foods when it is known to be a dangerous substance just like the tobacco companies were threatened with massive liability claims and eventually had to cough up (pun intended)>

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I suppose the irony of all of this is that the 'food' companies only began filling their products with added sugar because otherwise everything tasted like paper after they were relentlessly pressured to remove all the fat. Decades later, governments are getting all evangelical and demanding the sugar be removed, like they weren't at least partially complicit in putting it there. The war on saturated fat is to blame for all of this, and now everyone is trying to cover their tracks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I was unfortunate(?) enough to taste one of the early incarnations of fat free yoghurt which tasted like watered down chalk:yuck: and this actually convinced me to remain eating full fat products rather than the newfangled reduced fat ones.

Robbity

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook