Sugars are driving me mad!

Elc1112

Good evening all,

I've been really struggling with my sugars foe the last few days. Haven't done anything differently, but my sugars have, for the last three days, risen to the high twenties in the afternoon. I have also has ketones. No idea why this is happening. Have upped my night time insulin and taken extra Novorapid to try and get my levels back under control. Feel lousy with it all though.

Anyway, sorry for the rant! Hope everyone is having a good weekend :)

Em

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Here's hoping that you have managed to sort out your blood sugars. If not and your ketones are high then do seek medical help.

Regards

Doug

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Em

I've been having a similar problem for the last 10 days - seem to need double normal insulin to keep BGs down, for no apparent reason. I don't think I'm ill but am applying sick rules until things get back to normal.

Hope things settle down for you soon - it's a rotten feeling.

Robert

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
I often experience this a few days before the start of an infection or bug. My blood sugar will go high and I will start needing a lot of extra insulin for no reason even though I feel otherwise ok. Then a few days later I will get the symptoms of an infection like a temperature or sore throat etc. Once the infection is better things usually settle down again although it often takes a while.
Hope you feel better soon.

Elc1112

Thanks guys. I'm treating this as the beginnings of an infection and doing lots of tests etc. My sugars are back under control this morning - hoping they stay this way! Supposed to be flying back to the states on Tuesday, so I really hope they settle down!! Thanks again for all your replies. Glad I'm not the only one who has days like this! Happy Sunday, all :)

Maple

Could also be an absorption issue... do you rotate your injection sites enough? I found that if I didn't, my BG began to rise regardless of the amount of insulin I threw at it.

Elc1112

Hi maple. I'm very food at rotating the injection sites, so I would be suprised if it is an absorption issue. Having said that, anything is possible! Mackwhite, diet has not changes at all. Nor has my exercise routine, daily routine etc. Sugars are back under control now, thank goodness. I did try and get gold of my diabetes nurse, who told me she could see me end of June. If I was really worried I should go to a&e. On other words, about as much use as a chocolate teapot! I didn't want an appointment, just some advice over the phone would have been great. Oh well. The important thing is that my levels are back to normal. An feeling a little under the weather though, so I'm thinking I have the beginnings of an infection and this is what caused my levels to rise.

Thanks again to everyone for their support :)