Sugars dropped after meal

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
so I made sausage casserole in my IP yesterday. Utter disaster as I cooked to long so turned into soup with meatballs

Anyway I used 10 tomatoes (with skin off) arrow root (really need to learn how to use that because I tend to just throw in with water and mix so never really know carbs

Celeriac instead if potatoes and expensive deskinned pork sausages as meatballs but they are very low carb.

So no idea on carbs or how to work out.

But before eating I was 8 something
2 hours after eating I was 6.7
Tested again but later as didn’t seem right and I was a 6.3.

Is that right that sugars can drop after a meal? Not complaining just very confused

M

Member496333

Yes, it's not unusual. Often the liver is secreting glucose prior to a meal. This can be stopped by eating, provided that the food isn't high in carbohydrate. It's why many people find eating first thing in the morning a useful strategy for arresting dawn phenomenon.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Yes, it's not unusual. Often the liver is secreting glucose prior to a meal. This can be stopped by eating, provided that the food isn't high in carbohydrate. It's why many people find eating first thing in the morning a useful strategy for arresting dawn phenomenon.

Oh ok. Hadn’t thought of DP. Ate far earlier than usual although wasn’t particularly hungry. But had been messing round all day.

Does that show the meal is low carb or just lucky that day?

M

Member496333

Does that show the meal is low carb or just lucky that day?

It probably shows that the effect of arresting the liver's secretion of endogenous carbohydrate was greater than the effect of the exogenous carbohydrate in the food you ate. It's undoubtedly far, far more complicated than that, but I believe that's the nuts and bolts of it.

In the months and years to come, when hopefully insulin resistance is lower, the effect will likely be less measurable since the preprandial would be lower anyway.

Reactions: woollygal

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you Jim for that info about the liver.
A low-carb bedtime snack has been recommended at a health site but it lacked explanation as to why.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@woollygal - How long did you cook your sausages? ) Presumably on pressure cook?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@woollygal - How long did you cook your sausages? ) Presumably on pressure cook?
The whole casserole I binged in and cooked for 20 mins. Should have been less than 10. Yes pressure cook. I’ll know for next time

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole casserole I binged in and cooked for 20 mins. Should have been less than 10. Yes pressure cook. I’ll know for next time

When new to pressure cooking (I was a couple of years ago, although we'd had a stove-top pressure cooker for years beforehand, which scared me, so that was one of MrB's "tiys), bu I sometimes just used to look at a bunch of ingredients and think "X minutes? That just can't be right". With tougher cuts, like shin, cheek or ribs (all very delicious), all that happens is the meat gets softer, but with sausages their skins tend to disintegrate and you know how that works.

What I used to do, nd still do to a lesser extent is just google "instant pot sausage casserole" and see what comes up. I'd be likely to discount anything with dried peas or beans in it, as they can take a while to cook, but when I see something with similar ingredients, I take the timing on that as my guide.

If in doubt, under cook. You can always add a minute or two of Pressure, from Keep Warm, and already being piping hot, that's quick.

We're currently eating one of our freezers into a state where I can have cooking day, of winter warmers.

You'll get there. I'm really pleased you're using it.

(Finally, I do most of my "thickening" by reducing the fluid levels a bit at the outset, or using the saute function to evaporate some liquid at the end, or if all else fails, I use a touch of this stuff: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda...ougalls_Instant_Thickening_Granules_170g.html

It is high carb, but it is gluten free (although it carries a wheat warning), and has the advantage of being able to sprinkle directly into the pot. I tend to ladle off a little liquid into a small dish and add the granules there, as it allows me to be certain they all dissolve.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a very nice soup to me, and lovely your diabetes liked it too!
Tomato-celeriac soup with meatballs, I might actually try it tonight, as I have everything except arrowroot, and my celeriac really needs to be eaten :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sounds like a very nice soup to me, and lovely your diabetes liked it too!
Tomato-celeriac soup with meatballs, I might actually try it tonight, as I have everything except arrowroot, and my celeriac really needs to be eaten :)
It was supposed to be sausage casserole

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was supposed to be sausage casserole

Did it taste nice, even if it wasn't what you're expecting. We've had several "Instant Pot Surprise" meals . All I'll say is sometimes the surprises are more pleasant than others, but it's all a learning experience.

In winter, I just adore it that if I lob a load of ingredients in there if I leave the house early, it'll be ready to eat almost whatever time we're home or hungry.

I don't know if you have a partner, flatmates or whatever, but it's also fab for times when meals needs to be staggered for some reason. If I'm going out early evening, and MrB isn't going to be home until a bit later, we can both have a delicious meal when we need it, without any reheats, or if, for whatever reason dinner is delayed, it's still going to be just fine when we get there.

Once you have some frozen stuff, you'll be able to have "brown block dinners". The recipe for that is, remove brown block (ideally, but not always labelled!), put a couple of tablespoons of water into the bottom of the IP, add brown iceberg.

Set pressure to zero minutes, for something like a smooth/blended soup, to about 5 minutes for things with blocks of veg or solid eats. When cooking finished, open lid, stir and check it's all hot.

Eat.

Ideal for those times you forgot to get x, y or z out of the freezer? It has saved us a few times.

That functionality has saved me a few times

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When I steam veg in IP I set for zero minutes they turn out great when read to steam for zero minutes I though nah that cant be right I do the same when I use it to poach eggs.

Oh and about sugars Mine were 4.9 before breakfast and 4.9 after breakfast no change at all some times they go down after a meal during the day.

Last edited:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Did it taste nice, even if it wasn't what you're expecting. We've had several "Instant Pot Surprise" meals . All I'll say is sometimes the surprises are more pleasant than others, but it's all a learning experience.

In winter, I just adore it that if I lob a load of ingredients in there if I leave the house early, it'll be ready to eat almost whatever time we're home or hungry.

I don't know if you have a partner, flatmates or whatever, but it's also fab for times when meals needs to be staggered for some reason. If I'm going out early evening, and MrB isn't going to be home until a bit later, we can both have a delicious meal when we need it, without any reheats, or if, for whatever reason dinner is delayed, it's still going to be just fine when we get there.

Once you have some frozen stuff, you'll be able to have "brown block dinners". The recipe for that is, remove brown block (ideally, but not always labelled!), put a couple of tablespoons of water into the bottom of the IP, add brown iceberg.

Set pressure to zero minutes, for something like a smooth/blended soup, to about 5 minutes for things with blocks of veg or solid eats. When cooking finished, open lid, stir and check it's all hot.

Eat.

Ideal for those times you forgot to get x, y or z out of the freezer? It has saved us a few times.

That functionality has saved me a few times
Just me. So I tend to cook weekends then freeze. I have noticed my keel warm doesn’t keep it hot. Are you supposed to do a quick sauté to heat it up before serving

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just me. So I tend to cook weekends then freeze. I have noticed my keel warm doesn’t keep it hot. Are you supposed to do a quick sauté to heat it up before serving

I can't find that's the case for me, but maybe you like your food to be very hot.

Why not ask the question on the FB page, and if you have a thermometer you can also give the temperature your post "sits" at in Keep Warm.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I can't find that's the case for me, but maybe you like your food to be very hot.

Why not ask the question on the FB page, and if you have a thermometer you can also give the temperature your post "sits" at in Keep Warm.
Good plan batman.
I do open it a couple times but I’ll ask them

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

I’ve been a muppet. Didn’t realise if you press keep warm button it goes up in heat like all the other buttons

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The keep warm button will keep the food between 145 to 172°F for up to 90 hours.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been a muppet. Didn’t realise if you press keep warm button it goes up in heat like all the other buttons

Erm,.......... You just taught me something new. I hadn't realised it was adjustable too. Every day is a school day in my world.

I hope that solves your issue.

MrB is the main cook in this house, but I do cook, and always cook when he plays golf. Because he usually tees offin the morning, and it takes a while, he usually misses lunch, so is hungry when he gets home. On that basis (and because it's ideal for a lazy cook like me), I'll often do a stew, chilli, curry or the like.

Starting it nice and early, giving it a while for the flavours to develop. Once pressure has come down, I'll usually open the pot to give everything a stir and check the seasoning, the smells on Keep Warm are torture.

When he asks what time dinner can be, there's rarely resitance from me, when he wants it to be soon!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Erm,.......... You just taught me something new. I hadn't realised it was adjustable too. Every day is a school day in my world.

I hope that solves your issue.

MrB is the main cook in this house, but I do cook, and always cook when he plays golf. Because he usually tees offin the morning, and it takes a while, he usually misses lunch, so is hungry when he gets home. On that basis (and because it's ideal for a lazy cook like me), I'll often do a stew, chilli, curry or the like.

Starting it nice and early, giving it a while for the flavours to develop. Once pressure has come down, I'll usually open the pot to give everything a stir and check the seasoning, the smells on Keep Warm are torture.

When he asks what time dinner can be, there's rarely resitance from me, when he wants it to be soon!
Lol. It automatically goes on the middle one which is normal but press again and it’s high. It was certainly a lot hotter after an hour in high

It’s perfect for me. If I sit down and do my crochet etc I find I can’t be bothered by lunchtime so I don’t cook properly. But if I start meal early in morning before I sit down it’s fine. So the fact I can do this and then keep warm it’s beyond perfect!!

Thank you for telling me about it