Sugars out of control

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diabetic for more than 14 years. My sugars have been under good control with the use of Insulin, Metformin and sitagliptin. Recently the GP cut my sitagliptin by 50% (because of kidney difficulties) and 3 months later my sugars have crept up. I also have osteo arthritis and at the same time the GP (for good reasons) stopped my NSAID medication and this has caused my sugars to rocket. 20.9 before breakfast the other day. 12.9 this morning when I had tried very hard.
Is this raise in blood sugar likely to associated with the increase in inflamation of my arthritis? (This is very painful now.)
Thanks in anticipation
Lynne

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you still using your meter to check what your food is doing to you?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are on a lot of diabetes medication so your blood sugars shouldn't be so high. Perhaps you need to speak to your nurse to make sure your insulin doses are correct. Either that or you need to check what you are eating and tweak it a bit. Too many carbs?

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This has only happpened since my arthritis flared up. I am checking my blood every morning it was only 9.5 this morning, so perhaps I am winning. I adjust my insulin depending on what I eat, and don't have a diabetic nurse any more, she was head hunted and the practice has not replaced her. This means I have to see a doctor who does not even remembered that he had 1/2 my tablets!! Think I will give up.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I wonder if the stress caused by pain is increasing your blood glucose levels? Have you been offered any other pain-relieving medication ?

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Paracetamol !! I have an appointment on Tuesday. I hope they can help.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m type 2, and have rheumatoid arthritis. I found out by accident that if I drank turmeric tea it eased pain from inflammation. I checked it with my consultant rheumatologist (encouraged me to continue) and also the hospital pharmacist who saw me when I was an inpatient(very enthusiastic). The tea bags are available in supermarkets. Sainsburys do their own brand, and Twinings do one.
BUT. I bought some tablets as well. When I read the very small print on the leaflet it said controlled diabetics should not use it as it can lower the blood sugar. I’ve carried on using it as 2 medics had approved it, and it’s working wonders on my inflamed wrist.

Reactions: Bluetit1802