1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugars up and down.

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by KathyGardiner, Dec 31, 2020.

1. KathyGardiner

KathyGardiner Type 1 · Member

So I’m slightly confused right now. I woke up this morning with high sugars. Did my corrections and then they rose again. They finally got down to being good. After dinner sugars were still fine. I fell asleep for a hour and a half and my sugars went from 6.3 to 17.6. I did not eat anything or drink anything as I fell asleep. Did my corrections to help it and my sugars rose again to 21.4. Why do they keep rising? IMG_4070.jpg

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @KathyGardiner, any chance you could have a bug? If your BG hadn't gone down at all I'd say you should try a new vial of insulin but as it came down I don't think that's the problem

3. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Also, have you tested for ketones?

4. KathyGardiner

KathyGardiner Type 1 · Member

Ketones were 0.1. I’m not sure about the bug but I’ve been feeling normal

5. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It would be worth doing a basal check if high bg's continue. Could the rise after dinner be due to slow release carbs in something like pasta with a sauce, or pizza etc? I'd change the vial of long acting insulin as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did you take your basal?
    Is your bolus working correctly?

7. Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! I appear to be in the same boat as you. My BG is bouncing all over the place right now. Through the night when I got up to go potty at 3:45, I checked just for fun. My BG was 8.3 mmol/l. When I got up it was 4.7 mmol/l, at 7:15. I dosed 5u of Tresiba and 3u Humalog (as per Diabetic Ed). My BG went to 10.0 and slowly rising. I had a breakfast of low carb toast (I bake it myself), pb/low carb jam (which I make) veggie omelette, coffee. I have been checking to see what is going on. It's been 11.9, 11.7, 12.2, 12.4 (then I did a correction), then 9.8 and going down, and all of a sudden it's back at 11.1. I use the FreeStyle Libre, so I decided to do a finger prick. That showed 13.0. I have been trying to keep my sugar in a good range-4.9 to 9 and I feel much better when it's lower. When it bounces around I get shaky. This is so confusing. I have no idea why it does this. I am on a very low carb eating style and get along great with that, except when this happens for no apparent reason. I shovelled snow on Sunday for about 1.5 hrs and my BG went up to 14.4. Took forever to get it back down. Just checked and it's going down some, 10.1. Good grief.

8. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

Period hormones?mine fluctuate like this when it's time of the month, a week before it and during x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook