Suger free polo mints

LornaFarrell

Wow was shocked to see such a small mint with a hole had over 4g of carbs
Was going for the suger free option as l thought everything would be zero
How wrong l was

I guess it would be the sweetener? They are legally a carb, if you look on a tub of sweetener it’s about 98g per 100. But they don’t count as carbs for insulin dosing so you can ignore it. Or something like that.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow was shocked to see such a small mint with a hole had over 4g of carbs
Was going for the suger free option as l thought everything would be zero
How wrong l was

According to the nutritional info provided by Sainsbury they have 4.3g carb per serving. A serving is considered to be 3 Polos. Still would add up if you ate a packet a day, and could catch you out if you thought sugar free meant carb free.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...ps:gb/groceries/polo-sugar-free-mints-pot-65g

D

Deleted Account

I guess it would be the sweetener? They are legally a carb, if you look on a tub of sweetener it’s about 98g per 100. But they don’t count as carbs for insulin dosing so you can ignore it. Or something like that.
Looking at the Sainsbury's link above, it looks as if you are spot on.
One serving (3 mints) contains 4.3g carbs of which 4.3g are Polyols.
Polyols are sugar-free sweeteners. Polyols are carbohydrates but they are not sugars.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would add that some polyols can cause upset tum and frequent urgent visits to toilet if consumed in great quantity.
I could manage 3 Polos, but would be in trouble with a whole tube of them.

Jozee99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Set app 'carbs & calls' suggested by our diabetes team, lists sugar free polo's as 0g carbs. Even for the whole tube.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Polyols are an interesting class of carbs... they don't get fully digested into glucose, but based on some of my personal experiments, some of them do turn into
BG more than others. When I track my carbs, I don't zero them out altogether but put them in at 50% to account for the more limited impact they will have. In addition, yes, in larger quantities, they will cause stomach upset.