Sukkarto SR v Glucophage SR: Problems

Muso3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been switched from my usual Glucophage SR, which I've happily taken for several years, to Sukkarto SR (a cheaper option, apparently) a few months ago, since when I've had a number of problems with diarrhoea and other apparent side-effects. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going to the diabetes nurse later this week and want to ask the right questions. Grateful for any experience/advice.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
They will probably tell you that they are the same, which of course id true for the active ingredient - Metformin Hydrochloride.

It's quite interesting that comparing the list of other stuff that's in these 2 drugs yields quite different results. Patients can react to inactive ingredients and it seems like something in the Sukkarto is not quite right for you?

upload_2017-4-17_12-1-0.png

upload_2017-4-17_12-1-34.png

Source(s):-
https://packageinserts.bms.com/pi/pi_glucophage.pdf
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1489731723262.pdf

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I changed to Sukkarto SR 9months ago, from another SR metformin. I have noticed no discernible effect. I guess I'm fortunate. Neither did I notice any differences changing statins at the same time.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are at least 2 other threads reporting problems similar to this when metformin swapped out for cheaper generic drug/ For me it is the shellac coating that has made the new med a NONO for me.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Sukkarto SR for 3 years during which time my numbers have crept up. Each HBa1C being up, now at 50, which had triggered them putting me on a new med Forxiga. I've been testing a lot more since starting this drug as the side effects listed for Forxiga are quite scary. My numbers are up and down a lot. I have stuck to my LC diet since diagnosis 10 years ago so it isn't that. I asked my diabetes nurse whether switching back to original Metformin ER would be possible but she wanted me to try this first. Having read some of these threads I might insist!

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,,

My meds was changed to Sukkarto SR, i expect because of cost. Even though I am eating low carb my blood results are higher than on my previous meds - Metformin SR.

Even though I have put up with diarrhoea, I am experiencing more frequent bouts. My hands have started to get red with skin peeling as if I have dry skin and have small red spots underneath the skin. Anybody else experience the same?