Superfood Salad in London

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DD85A5A6-1995-422B-AEF4-A05C3352F769.jpeg

“A generous mix of quinoa, lentils, vegetables and sweet potato tossed with edamame beans on a bed of mixed salad with a tangy lemon and herb dressing finished with a topping of linseed, flax, hemp and rapeseed. With shredded chicken.”

Whilst being the tourist today this was about the best I could find to eat at the end of the day. Presumably this is a step in the right direction. It was hard finding anything better on the menu. It was very tasty.

There was no sweet potato despite the description on the menu.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 31384

“A generous mix of quinoa, lentils, vegetables and sweet potato tossed with edamame beans on a bed of mixed salad with a tangy lemon and herb dressing finished with a topping of linseed, flax, hemp and rapeseed. With shredded chicken.”

Whilst being the tourist today this was about the best I could find to eat at the end of the day. Presumably this is a step in the right direction. It was hard finding anything better on the menu. It was very tasty.

Did you test to see what reaction you had to it? Did it have nutritional information anywhere on the menu, the vendors website or packaging, if it was packaged?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test to see what reaction you had to it? Did it have nutritional information anywhere on the menu, the vendors website or packaging, if it was packaged?
It was a meal from a hotel restaurant. And definitely came without nutrtional info.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to follow a low carb diet but it's not so easy when you have to eat outdoors and there is no choice of healthy food. So greek yoghurt with chia seeds or smth like that helps me to survive during the working day.
Totally agree. I have found it hard going as a tourist in London.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree. I have found it hard going as a tourist in London.
What no Maccy D's? Ditch the fries and bun and eat the burger?
Burger King are happy to provide bunless burgers and give you a knife and fork to eat it with..

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Many members like 5Guys burgers, were there no meat or fish options on the menu?

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test before and 2 hours afterwards?
So far I am not using a meter. Whilst I agree it is a great tool in the armoury, I have elected to wait till the outcome of my A1c test which is imminent and see how that progresses. It could of course go either way. Statistically I am just out of the prediabetic range but I know this time around it might creep through or even burst through the ceiling.

I have been, in the meantime over the last few weeks, eating a lower carb higher fat diet to help keep blood sugars in check and in practice for an adverse outcome, this next test.

Tonight I had two burgers without buns. No fries. Then polished off a couple of boiled eggs and some Greek yoghourt.

Breakfast was all you can eat full English but without the carbs on the plate. Lunch was a cup of tea and a jacket potato from a van just outside the Tower of London.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Burger King are happy to provide bunless burgers and give you a knife and fork to eat it with..
I ate two of the Jollibee burgers, no buns or fries. There really was little choice there.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Kebab meat with no pita is always a good option.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many members like 5Guys burgers, were there no meat or fish options on the menu?
I haven’t come across these guys but I maybe did see them in the Trafford Centre in Manchester but didn’t check to see what they were all about.

I just googled them I see what you mean. Thanks. They do acceptable sides etc which are useful.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
View attachment 31384

Now that is the sort of food that I used to eat quite often, but unfortunately, I ended up being pre-diabetes. Lentils and quinoa I absolutely love along with couscous and Bulgur Wheat. If I went near that now, my blood sugar levels would rise.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't trust burgers outside bulkbiker. I know that Micky Dees says that their beefburgers are 100% beef. I just do not trust it,I worry that there may be cereal in them. They do a lovely chicken salad with no carbs in. Micky Dees so not taste like normal meat to me lol..No flavour, without the dressings but their burger sauce and tomato sauce is loaded with sugar.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Kebab meat with no pita is always a good option.
I was told not to eat the Donner Kebab it has other things in which raises BGL's. The shish one is fine, but not as filling as if you had mixed meats.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I usually have the mixed Grill without the carbs, or steak and eggs with a side salad. I take my own dressing for that which I make at home. Fish with mushrooms, tomatoes broccoli and side salad

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't trust burgers outside bulkbiker. I know that Micky Dees says that their beefburgers are 100% beef. I just do not trust it,I worry that there may be cereal in them. They do a lovely chicken salad with no carbs in. Micky Dees so not taste like normal meat to me lol..No flavour, without the dressings but their burger sauce and tomato sauce is loaded with sugar.

Derry, to be honest, as someone who is fluten free cereals in burgers and the like are important to me. To be honest, I would say that MacD's is probably quite safe (although to be fair I don't think I have eaten there in years), bearing in mind the number of burgers sold from consistently measures and packaged outlets.

Where I have been caught out, eating from the Gluten Free Menu, has been in more artisanal places where they assure the product is made on site. My assumption is the burger meat was more likely cross-contaminated on work surfaces, in machinaery or by utensils that a bad recipe.

We pays our money and take our chances.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that is the sort of food that I used to eat quite often, but unfortunately, I ended up being pre-diabetes. Lentils and quinoa I absolutely love along with couscous and Bulgur Wheat. If I went near that now, my blood sugar levels would rise.
Okay so I take it that those two ingredients are high carb. I am still finding my way.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The burgers I had yesterday I didn’t trust one iota. But at that point in the day, under the circumstances it was that or nothing.

I am definitely finding that I eat less now than I did before.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay so I take it that those two ingredients are high carb. I am still finding my way.
Self testing gives individual, real time feedback on the food and drink consumed. Asking anyone else is just asking us to get out our crystal balls.

Different people, even those looking very similar in profile, blood test results and so on an return wildly differing blood results from any given food or combination of foods.

Frankly, resisting testing is not doing you any favours, but that is your decision to make.

In my view the investment I made in meter and strips at diagnosis was some of my money best spent. I wasn't interested Ina wait and see game. I wanted result asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovinglife