Supernanny

redrevis

I agree with pro differentiation. If we don't tell people what type we are they aren't going to learn anything. I always call myself a type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed at 26, so not as a child, but that in itself helps improve peoples knowledge of it. It bugs me when on TV they refer to 'diabetes' instead of specifying the type. There is no wonder there are so many misconceptions about it. The more awareness of different types, causes, treatments etc the better in my eyes.

My sister works for an out of hours doctors surgery helpline. It really does amaze me by how many people ring up and say they are diabetic and having problems, she'll ask them what type they are and they don't even know. I've lost count of how many people she has told me about that have given her this answer. Some of them have been diabetic for 10+ years, some for not very long. Now this wasn't because they were in-between types etc, they just genuinely didn't know there was more than one type. All they knew was they had diabetes. Now that is scary to me. :?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
When I was diagnosed I wasn't told there were several types of diabetes. It wasn't until I came onto this forum that I even knew that different types existed and worked out for myself that I am a type 2. :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree, saying what type you are often promps a discussion about different types and throws up misconceptions that you can correct.

anniep

redrevis said:
I agree with pro differentiation. If we don't tell people what type we are they aren't going to learn anything. I always call myself a type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed at 26, so not as a child, but that in itself helps improve peoples knowledge of it. It bugs me when on TV they refer to 'diabetes' instead of specifying the type. There is no wonder there are so many misconceptions about it. The more awareness of different types, causes, treatments etc the better in my eyes.

My sister works for an out of hours doctors surgery helpline. It really does amaze me by how many people ring up and say they are diabetic and having problems, she'll ask them what type they are and they don't even know. I've lost count of how many people she has told me about that have given her this answer. Some of them have been diabetic for 10+ years, some for not very long. Now this wasn't because they were in-between types etc, they just genuinely didn't know there was more than one type. All they knew was they had diabetes. Now that is scary to me. :?

My Mum was diabetic too, and we never knew what type, she was diagnosed in the 1970's in her earely 40's and went straight onto insulin, she was never told what type and I don't think the difference was understood so much then.

She lived for 40 years simply being an 'insulin dependent diabetic.' We have back - diagnosed her as a T2 because many more T2's have appeared in the family, but none so early in life and none have gone onto insulin yet. It made no difference to her at the time but for family medical histories it would have been nice to know.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see what you are saying, yes I guess it's a good idea. People having a little knowledge is far more irritating than people having none though!

I just personally get annoyed by people saying oh yes I know all about diabetes, there are two different types, either type 1 - happens to children, has a quick onset, or type 2 - happens when you are fat and old, progresses slowly. argh I think!

I just lie and tell people I'm type 1 and was diagnosed as a child in hospital, unless I have a lot of time free to explain everything:
that I was misdiagnosed as type 2, because type 1 diabetes can occur slowly if you are older, the cells take a while to die, so it can look like type 2, but then the tablets didn't work, so I was tested for type 1, which was positive, so I had to start insulin. and then I feel obliged to explain how they are wrong about type 2 diabetes too, that it does not always have to do with people being old and fat, anyone can have it, it's partly genetic, partly risk factors eg diet, weight.

They catch me out by asking me 'how long have you been on insulin', I say 'a year' they say 'but how because type 1 is children type 2 is old fatties etc etc' and I can't be bothered to explain over and over again.

Basically, I'm just lazy, and wish people would just say 'diabetic', so I could just say I'm diabetic, and not have to explain :lol:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
it must be tough for you HLW, people can be mis-informed at times, even those who have any type of diabetes! In the US, I've heard people refer to themselves as having 'Juvenile Diabetes' instead of type 1 which is another twist to the story.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Debloubed said:
it must be tough for you HLW, people can be mis-informed at times, even those who have any type of diabetes! In the US, I've heard people refer to themselves as having 'Juvenile Diabetes' instead of type 1 which is another twist to the story.

Before we started referring to type 1/type 2, they were known as juvenile onset and maturity onset diabetes. Personally I avoid the term juvenile as it suggests that it (only) happens to children - IMHO nearly as bad as saying type 2 is due to obesity. Having met some people who thought type 1 was something children grow out of, I wouldn't want to encourage that idea.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
LittleSue said:
Debloubed said:

Before we started referring to type 1/type 2, they were known as juvenile onset and maturity onset diabetes. Personally I avoid the term juvenile as it suggests that it (only) happens to children - IMHO nearly as bad as saying type 2 is due to obesity. Having met some people who thought type 1 was something children grow out of, I wouldn't want to encourage that idea.

I agree, i think it's important for people to know Diabetes is serious and not something you 'grow out of' it's things that don't get straightened out, cause myths to appear.

Like a recent post about a boy just diagnosed and some teachers not realising how serious it is which is causing unecessary stress on the poor kid, which in turn isn't going to help.

It's important like any disease, illness, disorder that myths are diminished.

If someone asked you if diabetes was contagious, you wouldn't just say yes to get rid of them.

I personally will always take the time to explain the difference if asked and specify i have type 1 diabetes.

It's the same as my sister in law has fibromyalgia, and some people don't understand that she's in pain. I don't just go 'oh she has fibromyalgia' i explain what it is and WHY she is in pain.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There must be a lot of people who think you grow out of it. I know a number of people have asked me if Jess will grow out of it as she gets older.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
SophiaW said:
There must be a lot of people who think you grow out of it. I know a number of people have asked me if Jess will grow out of it as she gets older.

makes you wonder about people, doesn't it?! :lol: Ok, so different strokes for different folks but even as a child, before I was diagnosed I have vivid memories of understanding Diabetes and perhaps I didn't know all the info but I knew type 1 consisted of injections and no sugar at all! Those were the days *sigh*!! But then I read a lot. Perhaps we should invent a Wii game or a game for the X Box so people understand better and explain it correctly! :mrgreen: :lol:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Debloubed said:
SophiaW said:

makes you wonder about people, doesn't it?! :lol: Ok, so different strokes for different folks but even as a child, before I was diagnosed I have vivid memories of understanding Diabetes and perhaps I didn't know all the info but I knew type 1 consisted of injections and no sugar at all! Those were the days *sigh*!! But then I read a lot. Perhaps we should invent a Wii game or a game for the X Box so people understand better and explain it correctly! :mrgreen: :lol:

i like this! :lol: