Supernanny

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
did anyone see the episode of Supernanny USA with the child with Type 1?! as far as TV shows go, I was quite impressed about the way they handled it. The usual dramatic music and voice overs about life threatening condition, etc, etc but Supernanny herself took the time to understand what the child needed and why he needed it (insulin, carb counting etc) and although they focussed too much on injecting insulin and then eating rather than the other way around (child in question kept 'holding parents to ransom' by taking insulin then not finishing dinner which had me shrieking at the TV set!) I thought it was quite informative for those who have no idea! They also did a finger puppet show for the boy which showed insulin and carbs on a see saw to represent the balance needed - basic but pretty cute! :lol: Well done Channel 4 :p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It does sound interesting programme and well done Jo for taking the time to understand the child's diabetes! :D

Nigel

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it available to watch online? I didn't see it but would be interested to watch it.

ZACNEMMA

Hi all,
I have seen it-I love Jo Frost she is fantastic. It was informative, factual and I just loved the fact she continually called it type 1 diabetes and not just diabetes.
Emma

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting the link, I'll have to watch that when I have time, sounds interesting.

But, why is it important that she called it type 1 diabetes rather than just diabetes? Why does the distinction between different types of diabetes matter, outside of a healthcare context?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I think it's good to differentiate, particularly in a programme with a wide audience. I know that for a long time I thought there was just 'diabetes' and that everyone who had it injected insulin. It wasn't until I had friends with both that I learned there was a difference.

I'm all for anything that spreads knowledge.

Viv :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
I think it's good to differentiate, particularly in a programme with a wide audience. I know that for a long time I thought there was just 'diabetes' and that everyone who had it injected insulin. It wasn't until I had friends with both that I learned there was a difference.

I'm all for anything that spreads knowledge.

Viv :)

I was the same before diagnosis, only ever knew diabetics that injected insulin so just assumed all diabetics were insulin dependent.

Nigel

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose so. I just wish they would say something like 'diabetes treated with insulin' rather than making a distinction between type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes treated with insulin.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HLW said:
Thanks for posting the link, I'll have to watch that when I have time, sounds interesting.

But, why is it important that she called it type 1 diabetes rather than just diabetes? Why does the distinction between different types of diabetes matter, outside of a healthcare context?

I always refer to my daughter as having "type 1 diabetes" because that's what she has. There are different types of diabetes, as you know, and as she has type 1 that's what I call it. Why shouldn't I be specific about what type of diabetes she has?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
SophiaW said:
HLW said:

I always refer to my daughter as having "type 1 diabetes" because that's what she has. There are different types of diabetes, as you know, and as she has type 1 that's what I call it. Why shouldn't I be specific about what type of diabetes she has?

I also refer to my diabetes as type 1 Diabetes. In several Cases someone has asked 'What does type 1 mean' and everytime i explain and not just about type 1 either.

It's all about raising awareness.

I'm doing an NVQ at work in business admin and i had to do a discussion and i chose to do it on diabetes and i purposely explained type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes as DIFFERENT types because they are.

Only one person who was in my dicussion group knew the difference and every single person said they had no idea it was different and was glad to now know the difference :)

So now every person in that room knows the symptoms of both types. They also know if they are at risk of diabetes too!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
HLW said:

Because they generally involve very different treatments. I permanantly wave the type 1 flag because I have type 1! if I had type 2, not doubt I would do the same for type 2. There are many similarities but one main difference which should be recognised.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ZACNEMMA said:
Hi all,
I have seen it-I love Jo Frost she is fantastic. It was informative, factual and I just loved the fact she continually called it type 1 diabetes and not just diabetes.
Emma

That was my favourite part! Makes you wonder if she has encountered any or many type 1 kids on her travels.....

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess raising awareness never hurts.

Personally, I just say I've got diabetes and have to take insulin. Also if I say type 1, they assume I had it as a child, which I didn't. And if I say it was treated with tablets at the start, they assume it is type 2, which it isn't. If they ask about it, I don't mind explaining, but I'm always worried that I'm boring people with too much detail!

Debloubed, isn't the insulin treatment for type 2 diabetes the same or very similar as for type 1 (except high doses of insulin would be needed?)? All the leaflets I got when starting insulin were not specific about type of diabetes.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
HLW said:
Debloubed, isn't the insulin treatment for type 2 diabetes the same or very similar as for type 1 (except high doses of insulin would be needed?)? All the leaflets I got when starting insulin were not specific about type of diabetes.

Absolutely. But Type 1 cannot be treated with tablets or diet alone, that was what I meant by saying 'different treatments' :p

How old were you when you were diagnosed? I wonder if that's part of the reason why you don't feel the need to specify, people do assume you have had type 1 since a young age (which is true in my case!) so I guess after 25 years I just call it as it is, type 1. Like another poster above said, type 1 and type 2 are different so why not differentiate?! Like asking for coke and diet coke to use a familiar term for us all :wink: :lol: Like you say, keep raising awareness by any means necessary! :D

ZACNEMMA

Happy Friday
How could anyone not agree that recognising the differences between the types of diabetes is a
good thing.

Emma