Supplement query prior to pregnancy

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

We are looking at preparing to start a family next year. I’ve been working hard to get my hba1C down and it’s now down to 48 which I’m thrilled about. I’ve also managed to get my thyroid controlled as it’s been uncontrolled for the last year.

I know I will need a higher dose of folic acid and the prescription is ready and waiting for me to get from my GP when the time comes. But what I’m wondering is if anyone took any other supplements before getting pregnant other than folic acid and what these were as many pre conception supplements seem to contain folic acid and the dose is obviously not strong enough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Helen

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Helen, congrats on getting your hba1c down and family planning
I took Pregnacare in addition to the higher dose folic acid and there didn’t seem to be a problem with that with my diabetes team. Good luck

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Helen, congrats on getting your hba1c down and family planning
I took Pregnacare in addition to the higher dose folic acid and there didn’t seem to be a problem with that with my diabetes team. Good luck
Hi Marie,

Thank you that’s really kind. That’s good to know, I was worried if I would be taking too much folic acid if I took them so thank you for the advice.

Helen

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You’re welcome. Do double check with your own diabetes team though, just to be sure it’s ok for you. Best of luck :)