Supplementing with Vitamins

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely take D early in the day. It is the 'sunshine' vitamin and will most definitely keep you awake. I take 2000iu with Guac at BF and sometimes 1000iu at lunch but never after 1:00.

Chromium only made me nauseous and never did anything for my BG
I am not sure if any of this makes a difference depending on T1 or T2.
Mustard with a meal will keep me lower typically

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Berocca multi vitamin every morning. I have also started taking magnesium and calcium supplements before I knew about RH in a desperate attempt to stop keeling over

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I am a member of a vitamin d wellness group on Facebook and its run by a lady called Susan Rex Ryan who wrote the book defend your life. I take 5000iu a day in capsule form and I eat Gouda cheese to get my k2 and I take magnesium glycinate an hour before bed. I also take vit c and an adrenal complies with other vitamins and minerals added. I feel much better than I did and my hair and nails are much better and although I was losing my hair i am now getting new hair through xx

Reactions: 2 people

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
New thinking is that multivits won't help. You need to ideally have a vitamin and mineral profile done and then identify the ones you need and buy the best quality you can without additives. Sorry to throw spanner in works and I guess the new thinking may not be em correct but I am going with it for now x

MathMel

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks for those tips. I'm chronically vitamin deficient and once one goes for me the rest just topple down like dominos. I hadn't heard about taking vit D in morning. I'm also severe insomniac and I get really frustrated when it seems I've done everything the same and I just don't sleep. But in the mornings I always just get up and out the door, and I'm also probably only having 3-4 days a week so I'm going to add it to my sleep analysis. I get regular B12 injections and that is definitely helping and I really notice it if I am late, like the last week or so. I didn't know about the K so will look into that tip. I'm going to look for that FB group - I am taking more than recommended but not 5000 so if that's ok I will up and try.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Also if you are having trouble sleeping try magnesium glycinate before bed. It knocks me over and I sleep like a baby.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take magnesium supplements ,first I tried it because I have high serum calcium levels but. it did nothing to lower the levels ,it hasn't lowered my BGS but it has definitely helped my energy levels
CAROL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
:)I take magnesium supplements with my evening meal. I sleep like a baby now

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Also if you are having trouble sleeping try magnesium glycinate before bed. It knocks me over and I sleep like a baby.
What strength of magnesium tablet do you take Emma? x

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Im taking 300mg magnesium glycinate at the moment an hour before bed. I am
Planning to get up to 500mg but I'm taking it steady in case it upsets my tummy.

I am Also thinking of starting Epsom
Salt baths which are recommended. I knew nothing about magnesium but I have to say since I have stated this and the vit d I feel so much better. X

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Anyone else started on the magnesium yet? Sleeping so much better since I have xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else started on the magnesium yet? Sleeping so much better since I have xx

I've been taking it for over a year. Haven't noticed it helps sleep, but then there have been so many other changes too...