support has gone

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I rarely get any support from my DN anymore.
used to get weekly phone calls to check up on the insulin and sugar control.
and that has stopped for a while now. don't know why, maybe due to what is going on with the pay or maybe less staff<
was put on insulin and haven't had my phone call to check and see how its going. although i did email them and told them it isn't working at all. upped from 14units to 30units and continue upping every couple days. sugar levels aren't coming down at all which is not great and of course anything can happen from stroke to heart attack if i continue being high and i am worried that i don't even know why it isn't coming down like it used to in the past, maybe it is progressing and getting worse. i don't know. i was on HI for a while even after a 40 minute walk. i obviously feel exhausted but i still push myself to go to work and exercise with my levels out of control. managers at work are very understanding and have supported to and never discriminated against me.
i don't know how much longer i can keep going like this.. even a trip to a&e was a waste the endo at the hospital basically told me "you're already on insulin just up the dose and drink plenty of water" and discharged me i already drink plenty of water close to 3L a day i will just keep going day by day. i have gone many hours without food and i am only coming down a few mmol from the high 20s.... i don't know if this is a rant or whatever i just hope everyone else isn't in the same boat and is getting help.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely get any support from my DN anymore.
used to get weekly phone calls to check up on the insulin and sugar control.
and that has stopped for a while now. don't know why, maybe due to what is going on with the pay or maybe less staff<
was put on insulin and haven't had my phone call to check and see how its going. although i did email them and told them it isn't working at all. upped from 14units to 30units and continue upping every couple days. sugar levels aren't coming down at all which is not great and of course anything can happen from stroke to heart attack if i continue being high and i am worried that i don't even know why it isn't coming down like it used to in the past, maybe it is progressing and getting worse. i don't know. i was on HI for a while even after a 40 minute walk. i obviously feel exhausted but i still push myself to go to work and exercise with my levels out of control. managers at work are very understanding and have supported to and never discriminated against me.
i don't know how much longer i can keep going like this.. even a trip to a&e was a waste the endo at the hospital basically told me "you're already on insulin just up the dose and drink plenty of water" and discharged me i already drink plenty of water close to 3L a day i will just keep going day by day. i have gone many hours without food and i am only coming down a few mmol from the high 20s.... i don't know if this is a rant or whatever i just hope everyone else isn't in the same boat and is getting help.
Sorry to hear about your blood sugar problems. I don't have any medical support at all, other than an annual check-up with my gp, which in my opinion means I must take responsibility for my health and deal with it entirely on my own. Usually I am in range, but when I have many spikes I can't find explanation for, I go seriously low carb to about 20 a day which more or less flat-lines my blood glucose and then I slowly increase my carbs to about 70 a day. Big however though, I'm type 1 and only on insulin, you may be taking other meds such as glyclicide which I understand from this forum, can cause hypos. Extremely important - when I reduce carbs, I reduce insulin accordingly. Hopefully other type 2s will be able to offer you their experience shortly. What do you eat on a typical day, specifically? Of all the factors which affect blood sugar, food is the most important one and the only one we can really manage. Diet is usually the reason for high blood glucose.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear about your blood sugar problems. I don't have any medical support at all, other than an annual check-up with my gp, which in my opinion means I must take responsibility for my health and deal with it entirely on my own. Usually I am in range, but when I have many spikes I can't find explanation for, I go seriously low carb to about 20 a day which more or less flat-lines my blood glucose and then I slowly increase my carbs to about 70 a day. Big however though, I'm type 1 and only on insulin, you may be taking other meds such as glyclicide which I understand from this forum, can cause hypos. Extremely important - when I reduce carbs, I reduce insulin accordingly. Hopefully other type 2s will be able to offer you their experience shortly. What do you eat on a typical day, specifically? Of all the factors which affect blood sugar, food is the most important one and the only one we can really manage. Diet is usually the reason for high blood glucose.
i am sorry to hear you aren't given a endo appointment just a gp appointment- my understanding was every diabetic was given a endo or maybe the people who aren't very well managed controlled.
i am on Gliclizade and Sitagapliptin. along with the metformin and insulin. yes i am aware that diabetes is a dietary disease especially type 2 - i eat mostly asian based foods like daal and meat and fish mostly meat and fish and some carbs. i purchased a food scale to understand how much i am having and by the looks of it i am managing to stay around the under 100g of carbs or so. - i am just puzzled that the insulin and medicines aren't bringing me down. and sorry i don't know how to give you examples of the breakfast and dinner since i eat twice a day but breakfast is simple scarmmbled eggs and a toast with a actimel 100g. dinner is something like, fish mixed with veggies and daal or any other asian dish i avoid having rooti with since it is high in carbs so i will just eat with a spoon.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am sorry to hear you aren't given a endo appointment just a gp appointment- my understanding was every diabetic was given a endo or maybe the people who aren't very well managed controlled.
I'm in Canada and things are different here, varying from province to province.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in Canada and things are different here, varying from province to province.
i am happy your diabetes is managed well and your insulin treatment is working for you. :)

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
by the looks of it i am managing to stay around the under 100g of carbs or so
If I were you, I would calculate my carbs as accurately as possible, especially wary of sauces. I'm not familiar with Asian food - do you prepare it from scratch yourself or buy ready-made? Be careful for anything hidden in ready-made food.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I were you, I would calculate my carbs as accurately as possible, especially wary of sauces. I'm not familiar with Asian food - do you prepare it from scratch yourself or buy ready-made? Be careful for anything hidden in ready-made food.
from scratch my friend. i avoid those ready made chapatis. - i have a appointment with a dietitian friday will see what i can pick from that appointment

Reactions: JAT1

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At only 30 units, it may simply be that you haven't found the right dose for you yet.
Ideally, you should get guidance from your diabetes nurse on how often to increase the dose by how much until you start to see a change.

The only way to find the right dose for anyone is to slowly titrate up, there is no way to know in advance if someone will need 4 units or 400, so this is a safety measure.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At only 30 units, it may simply be that you haven't found the right dose for you yet.
Ideally, you should get guidance from your diabetes nurse on how often to increase the dose by how much until you start to see a change.

The only way to find the right dose for anyone is to slowly titrate up, there is no way to know in advance if someone will need 4 units or 400, so this is a safety measure.
Hi.. i was taking before 100units a day and wasn't working i am trying to up every 3 days and probably may be back to 100 units if not more.

Reactions: JAT1 and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My insulin is called Toujeo 300units doublestar insulin Glargine.
So insulin wise you are only using a basal? (Long acting.) this should only deal with BGs when you fast..
It’s not designed to act on your diet.. as a T1 for the food, I need a fast acting insulin with a shorter profile. As well…

• Informative
Reactions: JAT1

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So insulin wise you are only using a basal? (Long acting.) this should only deal with BGs when you fast..
It’s not designed to act on your diet.. as a T1 for the food, I need a fast acting insulin with a shorter profile. As well…
Yes only using the Long acting currently... in the past i was only on Fast acting called Novorapid which didn't help bring my levels down.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes only using the Long acting currently... in the past i was only on Fast acting called Novorapid which didn't help bring my levels down.
I use Novorapid. Were you on a fixed dose with your meals?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Novorapid. Were you on a fixed dose with your meals?
no, when i was using novorapid i was starting on 10 units and then upping by 3 units every few days i eventually was taking like 45 units twice a day but no effect was happening with my blood sugar levels.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
Are you on the long acting insulin like Lantus or another long acting one and/or quick acting insulin as well? I am on the long acting Tresiba once a day and three injections of Novorapid at meals but I remember when I was first put on to insulin it was hard to find the right dose. I only inject 17 units of Tresiba and small amounts of Novorapid, usually two and a half or three units at each meal and an extra half unit can send me hypo if I am not careful. A friend of mine who was quite overweight was on something like 30 units of Novorapid so everyone can be different.

If you are adusting a dose I was told you need to do it two units at a time and leave at least two days for levels to settle. All sorts of things can cause raised sugar levels, too hot, too cold, stress, not eating the right things, not eating regular meals etc. As for seeing a diabetes nurse, the only time I see anyone is once a year where I get a blood test and my feet looked at and not much more than that, I have had diabetes for 28 years and remember the diabetes nurse answering my question "What happens if my sugar levels are too high" she said "Eat something", I asked "What if my levels are too low" she said "Eat something". They also seemed more concerned about low sugar levels than some of the ones I thought were high and when you get older your target goes up, my target was given as 6-9 pre-meals and 10-12 before bed. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on the long acting insulin like Lantus or another long acting one and/or quick acting insulin as well? I am on the long acting Tresiba once a day and three injections of Novorapid at meals but I remember when I was first put on to insulin it was hard to find the right dose. I only inject 17 units of Tresiba and small amounts of Novorapid, usually two and a half or three units at each meal and an extra half unit can send me hypo if I am not careful. A friend of mine who was quite overweight was on something like 30 units of Novorapid so everyone can be different.

If you are adusting a dose I was told you need to do it two units at a time and leave at least two days for levels to settle. All sorts of things can cause raised sugar levels, too hot, too cold, stress, not eating the right things, not eating regular meals etc. As for seeing a diabetes nurse, the only time I see anyone is once a year where I get a blood test and my feet looked at and not much more than that, I have had diabetes for 28 years and remember the diabetes nurse answering my question "What happens if my sugar levels are too high" she said "Eat something", I asked "What if my levels are too low" she said "Eat something". They also seemed more concerned about low sugar levels than some of the ones I thought were high and when you get older your target goes up, my target was given as 6-9 pre-meals and 10-12 before bed. Hopefully things will settle down soon.
interesting.. i was just told as a type 2 i would need more insulin since i am insulin resistant. i know T1 like my uncle who use less insulin than i do.. both types are very different i am aware. my sugars just stay high regardless of the medicines and insulins. this is what i hope to understand why and to hopefully fix the problem. i am on Long acting Insulin Called Glargine

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
no, when i was using novorapid i was starting on 10 units and then upping by 3 units every few days i eventually was taking like 45 units twice a day but no effect was happening with my blood sugar levels.
OK. Back to basics. (I’m “old school” injector.) Where are you injecting your shots?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK. Back to basics. (I’m “old school” injector.) Where are you injecting your shots?
i follow the chart that was inside the insulin box. i inject where i have fat or i usually pinch my fat spot and inject near my belly button mostly i rotate sites

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i follow the chart that was inside the insulin box. i inject where i have fat or i usually pinch my fat spot and inject near my belly button mostly i rotate sites
Have you tried the glargine based insulin in your legs? (Rotating sites, of course.)