Surgery and meds

Yvonne8

Hi everyone. I'm going into hospital for an operation on Monday and I'm a bit confused about what to do with medication. I'm on Glucophage and januvia and the leaflet I was given by hospital says to take meds up to day before op. my op is in the afternoon and I'm worried that my blood sugar will be too high as anaesthetist has given me a leaflet saying they want me to have a couple of slices of toast or cereal for breakkie! Anyone with any experience of hospital visits? It's a hernia op by the way.

Geocacher

I've found that they check your BG and will give you either insulin or glucose during the surgery, if needed, and then put you back on your medication once you wake up.

For peace of mind, make sure when you go in that they know that you are diabetic and that you have concerns. They should explain exactly what they will do to manage your BG levels.

Yvonne8

Thanks for the reply. I was initially worried because I've read that you should stop metformin a couple of days before an operation in case of lactic acidosis? Anyway let's hope that they know what they are doing. I'll check with a pharmacist when I'm out and about today. Thanks again!

Geocacher

I've always taken metformin up to the day before, as I was told, and never had a problem. They did need to give me a glucose drip once during surgery when it was postponed from morning to afternoon, which is very likely why they have asked you to have a light breakfast.

I do know that some contrast dyes used for MRI scans can cause problems for people taking metformin, and you do have to stop taking metformin a few days before if they are planning to use a contrast dye but I've never had a scan where they've needed to do that.

I'm sure you'll be fine and I hope everything goes well for you.

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Being a medical person I would advise you to not take anything on the day of Surgery. They will do constant BG readings on you and adjust during/after surgery with either Insulin or Glucose. Because its a Hernia op, it does not take too long and the Anesthetic will bring you lower anyway. That's the reason why you have been told to have toast/cereal. If not, you will be nauseous and feel dreadful. You can speak to the Anesthetist who will visit you prior to surgery and address your concerns with him/her. Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yvonne8

Thanks guys REALLY appreciate the replies ! I didn't sleep a wink last night worrying about this but now I'm more informed and much happier cheers