Surgery and pump

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thought I would give my experience of having surgery with a pump.
Basically no problem, very few staff had seen a pump before so took a booklet in with me explained about not taking the pump off if hypo, showed them where the button was for CGM readings. Tapped the cannula down well so it could not be dislodged or removed and all was fine.
The anaesthetist looked with great pleasure at the pump and said oh goody a new toy to play with :eek::cool:
Staff left me on the ward to deal with my own diabetes and just asked me my blood sugars a couple of times.
So in that dept a very positive experience :)

Food wise if gluten free you were lucky to be fed if at all. My last meal was Sunday night at 5.30pm and my next meal was a bap which I took in myself and that was eaten about 5.15pm on the Monday evening. Nothing then until I got home lunchtime Tuesday.

I rang the dietician yesterday pm and made a few suggestions about the catering arrangements for g/f and also the lack of info regarding carb count on the menu overall.
Apparently there is no room to put the carb content on the menu and no need as only 10% of people with diabetes have type 1 and type 2's don't count carbs:banghead:
But and this is the good side of things Staff do have the nutritional content of meals all you need to do is ask a nurse for the info.
This is a legal requirement to provide the info if asked.
Pity they didn't advertise the fact in the ward somewhere.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased your surgery went well CarbsRok, reassuring that they let you use your pump throughout :)

Reactions: 2 people