Surgery is backwards...

batgirl2708

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So after my desmond course I found out my cholesterol levels (5.5) and also learnt about good and bad cholesterol so I went to my surgery to ask for a print out of my blood results... they can't give me these until they have the doctors permission - MY results! But yet it was ok for the receptionist to tell me over the phone I have diabetes..... more I think about it the more peeved I am getting. I can go back and collect them tomorrow but still... it all seems backwards to me!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Everything I hear about cholesterol raises my hackles. Your experience is just jaw dropping.

leahkian

If you are diabetic and under a consultant you can be sent a letter that goes to your GP or any other medical problems you have and you can ask your GP for a copy of your results and they should be able to give them for you

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
they can't give me these until they have the doctors permission - MY results!

They belong to the NHS and it's standard practice. Most things have to go by your GP before they can be given out willy nilly. I get the impression that most people expect more from their surgery than they are able to give. As someone who was told (20 years ago now) that I had osteoporosis by a well meaning receptionist when I actually had osteoarthritis, I'm quite pleased that there is a safety mechanism preventing those sorts of ****-ups. Your diabetic diagnosis might well have been OKd by the GP, who knows. Personally, and it might only be me, I'm glad it works that way.

As I've mentioned in numerous posts, take an active part in your surgery and join the Patient Participation Group and always let them know if you have a problem, not verbally, in writing to the practice manager. It doesn't take ten minutes to knock up a letter.

Those nice people at Which magazine have even put a template together:

https://www.which.co.uk/documents/doc/letter-file-to-complain-about-your-gp-311272.doc

Here's some good info and further examples:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...getfile/890/&usg=AOvVaw3n1smgkaRv738AuKAlA1ns

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So after my desmond course I found out my cholesterol levels (5.5) and also learnt about good and bad cholesterol so I went to my surgery to ask for a print out of my blood results... they can't give me these until they have the doctors permission - MY results! But yet it was ok for the receptionist to tell me over the phone I have diabetes..... more I think about it the more peeved I am getting. I can go back and collect them tomorrow but still... it all seems backwards to me!
Not backward at all just sensible. When blood results come back from the lab every result has to be reviewed by the doctor and notes added as to whether they are normal, what actions need to be taken etc. It's standard practice and there to make sure that patients aren't given an abnormal blood result before the doctor has seen it. A receptionist wouldn't be able to print off results until they have been authorised by the doctor. So don't waste time being peeved it genuinely is only being done to protect patients not to be awkward! She could have explained that to you a little better though I feel.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you requested to register for online results then you can get them without "bothering" your surgery at all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not backward at all just sensible. When blood results come back from the lab every result has to be reviewed by the doctor and notes added as to whether they are normal, what actions need to be taken etc.

How does that work with online test results though? I doubt my GP has ever seen them before I get them online..

Reactions: Granny_grump_

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Your test results should be freely available.
I an forced to use SystemOnline (surgery changed from EMIS due to normalisiation with a group of local practices) and it shows the results as input by the phlebotomist.

An initial diagnosis or major follow up actions should come from the GP.
The raw results should be available to the patient.
There is an argument for the first set of results which are to be used for diagnosis could be held back until the GP has reviewed them and set up an appointment to explain everything, but after that they should be just there for you.

Some receptionists seem to try and make everything "special" and needing to be blessed by a GP.

Something to discuss (constructively) with your practice manager.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had my results before a gp has seen them. I just phone and ask the receptionist what they are. And she tells me. If there is anything flagged by the lab for action she says that I will get a phone call once the gp on lab duty that day has seen it.

I am not sure why there is such a variation across the uk. It seems that some surgeries are not complying with law. Either you can have them before a gp has seen them or you cant. Interesting question. I will do a bit of digging and seeif I can find out.

If anyone has the links to relevant guides I would be grateful.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How does that work with online test results though? I doubt my GP has ever seen them before I get them online..

My doctor looks at them and adds notes before I can access them on line. I think there is a few days delay built into the system, so you can till see resuslts after a time, if the doctor has not added notes.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My old GP did not provide on line access, within a few hours of changing GPs I had on line access to all my past results going back over 10 years. I asked the pratice mananger what on line access I would have before agreeeing to register with them.....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My on-line ones arrive the following morning when they have been ordered by my nurse. These are just the routine HbA1c/kidney/liver/FBC/lipids. When I asked for some non-routine tests the GP entered these herself "externally" once she had seen them. They arrived on-line a day after the others.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I getting the feeling that each GP can decide how they configure the software to work......

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not in Britain (for a while). Here, in France, every blood test, scan, xray is considered mine.It is my 'insurance' ie my contributions to the social security system that pays for them. This is made more clear when I have to pay 'upfront' and the cost is reimbursed. As the 'purchaser' I get sent the reults of all tests.
I receive the results of a normal blood test by post the day after the test (except I have to say when first diagnosed when the results were faxed to the GP as needing urgent attention. He then phoned me and asked me to return and then arranged for me to go to hospital)
I also have my mammogram films , retinopathy photos, ecg printouts, the results of dopplerscans and bone density checks. I will freely admit I don't understand everything on them but it gives me a starting point for discussion with my doctors.
This is one of the things I am worried about when I return to England I do not want to be considered r= a non equal participant in my health care. I intend to start off with presenting my new GP with all my recent tests and scans; hope he can read some French! (or should I dump 17 years worth on his desk?),

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm not in Britain (for a while). Every blood test, scan, xray is considered mine.It is my 'insurance' ie contributions to the social security system that pays for them so is a service I am paying for. This is made more clear when I have to pay 'upfront' and the cost is reimbursed
I receive the results of a normal blood test by post the day after the test (except I have to say when first diagnosed when the results were faxed to the GP as needing urgent attention. He then phoned me and asked me to return and then arranged for me to go to hospital)
I also have my mammogram films , retinopathy photos, ecgs, the results of dopplerscans and bone density checks. I will freely admit I don't understand everything on them but it gives me a starting point for discussion with my doctors.
This is one of the things I am worried about when I return to England I do not want to be considered r= a non equal participant in my health care. I intend to start off with presenting my new GP with all my recent tests and scans; hope he can read some French! (or should I dump 17 years worth on his desk?),

Dump 17 years worth.
Along with a "Teach Yourself French" course.;)

Reactions: Ultramum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a wonderful thing, @phoenix

Make sure your new UK surgery puts test results on-line. Mine show lots of things other than blood test stuff. Only text, no actual images, but all the consultations I've had at the surgery are notes with a couple of words for the diagnosis, and there is a page for significant and minor problems. One diagnosis just said "knee pain" which turned out to be a knackered cartilage. Some of mine go back as far as 1948 showing my baby vaccinations, 1952 showing details of a broken leg, and various other things. My blood tests go back to 2008.

I have asked for hospital stuff and got it including all biopsy lab reports and copies of letters sent to my GP from hospital consultants. The problem is, you actually have to ask for them, or you don't get.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
SNAP! Exactly the experience I had.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not in Britain (for a while). Here, in France, every blood test, scan, xray is considered mine.It is my 'insurance' ie my contributions to the social security system that pays for them. This is made more clear when I have to pay 'upfront' and the cost is reimbursed. As the 'purchaser' I get sent the reults of all tests.
I also have my mammogram films , retinopathy photos, ecg printouts, the results of dopplerscans and bone density checks. I will freely admit I don't understand everything on them but it gives me a starting point for discussion with my doctors.

Interestingly the same isn't true in the UK with vets. Even though I paid for their ex-rays I had a right fight to get hold of them. I was told that it was illegal to give me them and they could be struck off.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be coming to Wales if you want your tests on line. All I can do on line is make appointments and order repeat prescriptions.

I can get my test results (oh what a frosty voice I got from the receptionist when I asked) but I have to pay 50p per page for them

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Maybe it time some people took their GPs all the way to a professional misconduct hearing over this, as the rules say the GPs MUST provide online access to test results.....