Surprisingly little discussion about cinnamon?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Cinnamon seems to be a dead horse. If it was so good it would be in widespread use by now.

Hi Pasha,

I suspect you're probably right. But I'm gonna carry on with my bedtime cinnamon tablet until I know, one way or the other, whether it's of benefit to me. If after I've finished the pack of 120, (4 months) there's no significant difference in my fasting blood glucose levels, I'll call time on my little experiment. I was only diagnosed in January, & with this disease I feel I'm at the beginning of a long journey, with soooo much to learn. Guess my cinnamon experiment is part of my learning curve. :D

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I use cinnamon/nutmeg/paprika to season things "foods" with .
Replacing salt with them and much less damage to my blood sugar levels
and cholesterol levels .
Win - win situation this way !

Reactions: 2 people

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use cinnamon for your diabetic disorder you have to follow 3 simple rules:

1. It must be cassia
2. It must be an extract where cumarine is removed during the process.
3. It must be a dosage beyond 3g daily intake.

For a safe extract of 10:1 it amounts to 300mg then.

You mustn't take regular cassia cinnamon as you will easily croos the threshold of daily cumarine intake. Ceylon cinnamon is delicous, but that's all you get then. To the contrary, cassia showed postive effects in decreasing HbA1c. Here, again, under certain conitions: it showed effects on HbA1c's that are beyond 7-8%. That means, well managed diabetics with HbA1c below 6% will be likely to not benefit. For those above 8%, studies showed a decrease up to 1% of HbA1c.

Cumarin is proven to cause (reversible) hepatic disorders. You don't want that, so go for safe extract if you want to give it a try :)

I don't believe it HAS to be Cassia - there are supplements out there using True Cinnamon or Zeylonica... and there are lots of positive comments on Amazon (more on the .com than the .co.uk) I'm going to try out the one they sell on here, EasyBetic. not only has it got Ceylon Cinnamon but also has Chromium GTF (Glucose Tolerance Factor) helps blood sugar and Zinc (apparently the body needs this as it loses this nutrient). Looks reallly good to me. Win Win Win. Has anyone else tried it? They must have had a few by now.

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use cinnamon for your diabetic disorder you have to follow 3 simple rules:

1. It must be cassia
2. It must be an extract where cumarine is removed during the process.
3. It must be a dosage beyond 3g daily intake.

For a safe extract of 10:1 it amounts to 300mg then.

You mustn't take regular cassia cinnamon as you will easily croos the threshold of daily cumarine intake. Ceylon cinnamon is delicous, but that's all you get then. To the contrary, cassia showed postive effects in decreasing HbA1c. Here, again, under certain conitions: it showed effects on HbA1c's that are beyond 7-8%. That means, well managed diabetics with HbA1c below 6% will be likely to not benefit. For those above 8%, studies showed a decrease up to 1% of HbA1c.

Cumarin is proven to cause (reversible) hepatic disorders. You don't want that, so go for safe extract if you want to give it a try :)

I think it should't be cassia!! - should be Ceylon Cinnamon or True Cinnamon Cassia taken at those sort of levels (to have any effect) contains too many coumarins which are blood thinners and if taken too much can cause internal bleeding and liver probs - nasty. I found Ceylon cinnamon PLUS chromium it in the shop here:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/shop/productdetails.aspx?pid=4252