Sweet Potatoes

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have heard that Sweet Potatoes are better than "normal" Potatoes for diabetics. Have any of you's had any experience or knowledge of this?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to tolerate them in small quantities. Supposedly if you precook them, cool then reheat you'll have a better response because of resistant starch - ditto for potatoes. But really, I don't like either vegetable enough to pfaff about that much just to eat them :D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Resistant starch changes nothing for me. Same same. Off the list hot cold or otherwise

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all react in different ways to different foods - the only way to know (if you really want to eat the food) is to experiment and use your meter to check the effect. Personally I can eat about 80g (12.2g net carbs) of boiled sweet potato without issue. YMMV.

I rarely eat white potato as it tends to make my joints ache so if it's a choice between sweet potato and white potato, I'll take sweet potato because although it has higher carbs per gram than white, it has about the same effect on my BG without the after effect of joint pain.

Last edited by a moderator: