Sweet Tooth!

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Thank you, if I am tempted to eat chocolate I find definitely give the Lindt dark chocolate a try, bit down today though, had an appointment with the doctor yesterday and I have put on weight and now need to go on Metformin tablets 3 times a day and it has only just hit me like a ton of bricks now. I thought I was eating all the right things etc apart from obviously the odd chocolate bar but that what did it I guess! :(

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Thank you, if I am tempted to eat chocolate I find definitely give the Lindt dark chocolate a try, bit down today though, had an appointment with the doctor yesterday and I have put on weight and now need to go on Metformin tablets 3 times a day and it has only just hit me like a ton of bricks now. I thought I was eating all the right things etc apart from obviously the odd chocolate bar but that what did it I guess! :(

Try and stay positive, easier said than done I know.

I found this website earlier (on another thread) - http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com - they've got a chocolate section which has got Atkins bars. My weakness has always been sweets, lots of low carb sugar free sweets to choose from here :D

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi NotSoSweet2
Try to get your spirits up.

Sometimes even with the best will in the world we need the help of some medication in order to keep things under control.

Metformin is not so bad as medication goes. It has been prescribed to diabetics for decades now and is known to be reasonably safe to use long term.and to have other health benefits beyond helping with glycemic control.

In fact it is so good, I am on it myself!

It has one potential adverse side effect that I know, in that it may give some people upset stomachs. It is affectionally known as metfartin for a reason:)!

Taking the pill in the middle of a meal helps in this respect. Also people are usually asked to build up dosage gradually in order to avoid side effects of the drug i.e. 1 pill daily during first week. 2 during the second and so on. There is a slow release form of the drag Metformin SR that people find easier to tolerate.

And as an added bonus metformin is known to be an appetite suppressant.

I can understand you are feeling disappointed right now but nobody said that this game would be easy, that there would not be any setbacks along the way.

Do not give up!

See the setbacks as challenges, start again more determined than ever. In dealing with diabetes, everyday is day one, it does not matter how well or badly you have done yesterday, what matters is what you will do today (Thank you Andy12345, for this line, I liked it so much, I made it my own.)

Also realize that whatever the scales or your glucose meter may say, is just feedback on how effective your treatment is to be used in order to fine tune it further. It is not judgement of you as a person.

So keep smiling and be more determined to get on top of this than ever.

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almost forgot!

You were one of the people I specifically had in mind when I wrote this post on another thread as you had expressed some confusion about what is good for a diabetic to eat or not.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ind...to-constantly-feel-hungry?.53760/#post-492264

It can be confusing when your doctors are telling you to eat one thing and people on this forum are telling you another.

You also need to keep in mind that what people post on this forum is inevitably shaped by their own experience and sometimes colored by their own prejudices. It is always honest advice based on what has worked for them but you need to find out what will work for you. We are all individuals and there is no one-size-fits-all recipe for dealing with diabetes.

Rather than despair at the contradictions, realize that there are more than one approaches to getting on top of this thing and rejoice that if one way doesn't work for you, you have alternatives you can try.

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Try and stay positive, easier said than done I know.

I found this website earlier (on another thread) - http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com - they've got a chocolate section which has got Atkins bars. My weakness has always been sweets, lots of low carb sugar free sweets to choose from here :D

Thank you Semiphonic, for the encouragement and the link. I am doing a lot better now, so far so good, no chocolate and looking at labels more and more etc. I hope you are doing well too :)

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Hi NotSoSweet2
Try to get your spirits up.

Sometimes even with the best will in the world we need the help of some medication in order to keep things under control.

Metformin is not so bad as medication goes. It has been prescribed to diabetics for decades now and is known to be reasonably safe to use long term.and to have other health benefits beyond helping with glycemic control.

In fact it is so good, I am on it myself!

It has one potential adverse side effect that I know, in that it may give some people upset stomachs. It is affectionally known as metfartin for a reason:)!

Taking the pill in the middle of a meal helps in this respect. Also people are usually asked to build up dosage gradually in order to avoid side effects of the drug i.e. 1 pill daily during first week. 2 during the second and so on. There is a slow release form of the drag Metformin SR that people find easier to tolerate.

And as an added bonus metformin is known to be an appetite suppressant.

I can understand you are feeling disappointed right now but nobody said that this game would be easy, that there would not be any setbacks along the way.

Do not give up!

See the setbacks as challenges, start again more determined than ever. In dealing with diabetes, everyday is day one, it does not matter how well or badly you have done yesterday, what matters is what you will do today (Thank you Andy12345, for this line, I liked it so much, I made it my own.)

Also realize that whatever the scales or your glucose meter may say, is just feedback on how effective your treatment is to be used in order to fine tune it further. It is not judgement of you as a person.

So keep smiling and be more determined to get on top of this than ever.

Pavlos

Pavlos, thank you so much for the encouragement and useful tips. I think it was the thought of yet more medication, I am already taking so many other medications for other conditions (shake me and I rattle lol) that caused the disappointment.

I don't have a glucose meter but it might be a good idea to invest in one now.

Anyway I have now started again from scratch and am determined to do this one day at a time and your diary entries are so inspiring so once again thank you (still smiling) :)

Reactions: 2 people