Sweetners

Lilliepop

Hi. I'm looking for a sweetener that doesent give you diarrhoea. Does anyone know of any or do they all upset your stomach? I have been chewing sugar free chewing gum with xylitol and that has upset me a bit, only have a small square.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i use sweetex and have no problems

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Think its the same with most sweetners. Too much of them can cause side effects. Loose stools always seems to be the main one lol

Jeffretro80s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
all sweeteners are bad because they stimulate hunger and most of them are chemicals wich are even worse for health than sugar

no sweeteners for me, they taste bad too

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Currently using Splenda without any noticeable side effects.

Lilliepop

all sweeteners are bad because they stimulate hunger and most of them are chemicals wich are even worse for health than sugar

no sweeteners for me, they taste bad too
I totally agree with you I have never been one to use sweetners before but thought I might cut sugar out of my tea. I have been using coconut sugar for the last year or so. I will stick to that. It's low GI

A

AnnieC

I use Stevia but only for sprinkling on frozen berries I don't use sweetners for anything else

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I could do with a run or two....
the whole idea of sweetners I struggle with.... dropped sugar and milk from coffee and tea and cannot imagine how I used to like them.... milk is now way too sweet.... and it didn't take long.... looking at the puddings in the recently circulated christmas recipe booklet most were ruled out coz of the sweetners... dark plain chocolate in small amounts will do it.

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I could do with a run or two....
the whole idea of sweetners I struggle with.... dropped sugar and milk from coffee and tea and cannot imagine how I used to like them.... milk is now way too sweet.... and it didn't take long.... looking at the puddings in the recently circulated christmas recipe booklet most were ruled out coz of the sweetners... dark plain chocolate in small amounts will do it.

So true! But, baking can be done without any sweeteners - I'd never believe it a few months back, but it's true. Coconut and almond flour already have a specific taste, and combined with fruits and spices like cinnamon or cloves, sweeteners aren't necessary.

I still use stevia for my coffee, though. That's one thing I still can't have without any sweetener. >.>

Jeffretro80s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with you I have never been one to use sweetners before but thought I might cut sugar out of my tea. I have been using coconut sugar for the last year or so. I will stick to that. It's low GI

nice i never tried coconut sugar, i hope they sell that here

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't fall for the coconut/palm sugar low GI hype.
The BG impact, for me, was just like ordinary sugar.

So, if you decide to try it, test carefully.

I dislike the flavour of most artificial sweeteners.

I used to use xylitol, and never had a tummy problem.
Currently using erythritol. Fantastic stuff. No problem.

But it is worth saying that portion size is key for all of these.

You may be fine on 2 teasp a day, but several? Or tablespoons... Not so much.