Swimming infections Freestyle Libre

TimLibre

Dear all,

I wanted to share my experiences regarding infections that i got under my skin through my Freestyle Libre sensor.

First time it happened in 2022. I was swimming a lot with a freestyle libre 2 sensor on my upper leg (i have been wearing them there for years without any issues). I had been swimming quite a lot, but always in salt water, actually in the Atlantic Coast in Tenerife, where I consider the water quality generally as good. After some days i noticed the sensor getting uncomfortable. Then the sensor site became red, painful and swollen. Also readings were varying extremely fast, so they could not be trusted anymore. I took off my sensor and discovered the infection under my skin. I called my doctor and was able to buy Cuatrocrem salve in a local pharmacy. I had to put it on twice a day, which solved the infection within days.

Now recently, with a libre 3 sensor, i experienced the same, but took off the sensor immediately so prevented another infection. Have to say i also wentinto a swimming pool this time, so probably not the best water.

Does anyone have similiar experiences? Would water proof plasters help? I know that it isnt recommended to cover up the full sensor, so I have not been using water proof plasters before. Also i fear that if i want to take off the plaster again, that the sensor would get ripped off too. Any other solutions?

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not a user, but their own FAQs say the sensor has not been tested in salt water and has strict limits in other water.
Apparently they are not fully waterproof either.

Reactions: TimLibre