Swimming lessons - how to prepare?

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Hi all

my husband and I are thinking about learning to swim and have found a local sports centre that will run a once weekly 10 week course.

Do I need to keep my Diabetes kit in a waterproof bag near the pool or something, just in case I need to deal with a hypo?

Thanks

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should take your meter and a few test strips (in a pot) poolside with you along with some fast acting glucose just incase of a hypo. Don't take too many test strips as if they do get wet then they are ruined! You can always keep a supply in your locker if necessary.

Make sure you tell your instructor that you are diabetic (common sense really!) and where your glucose is as if you need it quickly then they will be able to grab it for you! Test before you start and I would aim to be slightly on the higher side of normal to give yourself some wiggle room. Also test when you are finished to see what effect it had on your glucose levels, exercise can make them go up as well as down

Good luck in learning to swim, it's an excellent form of exercise as well as a useful life skill

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only learned to swim as an adult, using a course at my local pool.

I had a fear of putting my head under the water, and knew I had to deal with that before the course started.

I conquered my fear, using a bowl nearly full of water, and putting my face (over time) more into the bowl.
Once the fear had been conquered I started to teach myself a little, and could do mushroom floats.

Thought I'd share in case either of you were as scared as I was :crazy:

Geoff

Sanober

Dislikes
Thank you both.

I hope I won't be too scared :silent:

Do you keep your kit in a plastic sealable bag/plastic tub to protect from water splashes etc?

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my meter is kept in a splash proof pencil case (oil cloth) normally so I just bring it poolside and leave it on my towel in a dry spot. A plastic tub may be a good idea if you're not sure, best to err on the side of caution

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I suggest you talk to the head swimming teacher. He/she should know about dealing with diabetes.
I do aqua exercise classes 3 x per week and have NEVER needed any help, although I do keep a pack of glucotabs in my swimming bag.
For more suggestions, I'd need to know what your eating, exercise and medication routines are.
Otherwise I would say.
Learn to swim. It should be such fun for you both and great healthy exercise.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sanober said:
Do I need to keep my Diabetes kit in a waterproof bag near the pool or something, just in case I need to deal with a hypo?

I would certainly keep some fast-acting glucose close by, the Glucotabs tube is made of plastic so should be water-tight, failing that a small bottle of lucozade should be fine as they no longer come in glass bottles....... but you'd need to check first with the instructor.

Well done on taking the initiative to swim :clap:

Sanober

Dislikes
noblehead said:
I would certainly keep some fast-acting glucose close by, the Glucotabs tube is made of plastic so should be water-tight, failing that a small bottle of lucozade should be fine as they no longer come in glass bottles....... but you'd need to check first with the instructor.

Well done on taking the initiative to swim :clap:

Thanks Nigel, I registed for the 10k run in Glasgow on 2nd Sept, I hope to start swim lessons on 11 Aug with hubby. Then all I need to do is learn to ride a bike and I'm set for a Triathalon NOT!

My first love is running which I stopped last year (can we remember why? :problem: ) but after a recent holiday in Portugal and wading in the sea, my hubby and I loved the water so want to learn to actually swim in it :lol:

Sanober

Dislikes
hanadr said:
I suggest you talk to the head swimming teacher. He/she should know about dealing with diabetes.
I do aqua exercise classes 3 x per week and have NEVER needed any help, although I do keep a pack of glucotabs in my swimming bag.
For more suggestions, I'd need to know what your eating, exercise and medication routines are.
Otherwise I would say.
Learn to swim. It should be such fun for you both and great healthy exercise.
Hana

Thanks Hana - I've been getting fit again recently generally doing Zumba, running, even tried Boot Camp (just tested more frequently as I was burning up the glucose and had to swig on the juice! Very intense training)

I'm a moderate carber (these days anywhere between 25 - 150g (that's if I have pizza that night :lol: ) and I've cut my cals down by a 1/3 also as I do want to shed some weight too (although am normal for my height but nearer the top end these days!) .

Depending on when I last took my insulin and the pre-excercise glucose reading I take a 5-15g carb snack (I've tried taking less bolus for my last meal before exercise I go too high and feel ill) and test/top up on a jelly baby half way through the class. I can maintain my glucose around 4 - 8 during exercise which I think is good going personally as I'm just restarting as Diabetic on insulin (I used to drop a lot in the early days during exercise because of not taking a snack before hand)

The Boot Camp threw me as I had just done a Zumba class and straight into but thankfully I was in a class environment so was able to test every 10-20mins).

Is there anything specifically unique to swimming that I need to be aware of? I doubt very much I'll be at Olympic level, it's a beginners 10 week course. :D

walterrichmand

Working with a swimming practice schedule that involved getting a certain number of laps done or working with a certain amount of time in mind can help you to figure out the swimming pattern that you can feel the most comfortable with.