Swimming with friends :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We go to the indoor swimming pool with a group of friends quite regularly. It involves not so much swimming, but a lot of pushing eachother under water, filling beach balls with a bit of water so you can throw them real hard, taking the slide 3 at a time on an air mattress until being told off by the people who work there, and trying to stay on various air filled toys.
So not a very traditional work-out, but I guess it still counts, as I get out of breath, feel it in my muscles the day after and my BG drops like a stone if I'm not careful.
As we're usually in the pool from 7 to 10 PM, It also involves eating in the pool restaurant, where they have a choice between various high carb, deep fried foods.

So I end up juggling with too many variables, trying to get my BG right and stable until 2 AM, and find out the next mornigh I've still been higher than I like all night.
After the last time I was almost ready to cancel future swim nights, as the hassle is not worth it, and I also don't want to watch my friends eat and have nothing myself. So I phoned a friend, in a rare moment of feeling pretty sorry for myself and explained why diabetes is not fair and how I like to do what I want and some more whinging.

Luckily, this non-diabetic friend is very practical and not impressed by a bit of whinging so she told me to just order a small high carb, deep fried snack to tackle the impending hypo by dinner-time, and cook a nice low-carb omelet filled with lots of greens and cheese to go with it and just take that with me to the swimming pool!

I guess feeling sorry for yourself really does make you blind to obvious solutions. I'm so happy I have friends who'll kick me in the bum when I need it!

I telephoned the swimming-pool restaurant to ask if they are OK with this, and it's not only fine but they even offered to zap my omelet so I can have it warm! Can't wait to go swimming next time so I can try out this new scenario and not spend half the night trying to get my BG right! Hurray for friends!

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You have a treasure there. Keep that friend.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that friend is a keeper.

Would the restaurant make you a fresh omelette?
No, they really only have deep-fried things and ice-cream. I could order a burger whithout the bun though, but err, I don't want a burger whithout the bun :wacky:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
She sends you one of those flying kisses via Whats-App :) I sent her a picture of your reaction!
Ooh a virtual friend of a friend. I like it.