Switched to unsweetened Almond milk

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I started drinking unsweetened Almond milk, which I like very much, and has practically the effect of water on my glucose.
Now the question: where do I get big amounts of calcium? I need theoretically 1000mg per day on average to avoid future development of Osteoporosis. Any ideas?

Reactions: 2 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Get a multivitamin with calcium with vitamin D which helps the absorption of the Calcium, mind you, Almonds are supposed to be full of calcium. Otherwise, tinned sardines, bones of which are so soft you can eat are great, though I realise I don't know how I'd eat them if not on toast, that was one of my favourite snacks before going low-carb.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get a multivitamin with calcium with vitamin D which helps the absorption of the Calcium, mind you, Almonds are supposed to be full of calcium. Otherwise, tinned sardines, bones of which are so soft you can eat are great, though I realise I don't know how I'd eat them if not on toast, that was one of my favourite snacks before going low-carb.
You could always try Bergen linseed and soya bread lots here have that and it does make good toast

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it's not everyone's taste but there is always green leaf veg or yoghurt

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's worth checking the ingredients - I know the Alpro almond milk which I use contains calcium.

Robbity

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It's worth checking the ingredients - I know the Alpro almond milk which I use contains calcium.

Robbity

Yes it does, it's the same I'm using, but compared to normal milk it has very much less calcium.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As mentioned, almond milk had lots as well as sardines and canned salmon WITH the skin and bones. Spinach too. Best to get calcium from foods. Lots of research on supplemental calcium not being so good. Gotta balance vitamin D and magnesium for best absorption. Who knows how to do that?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I am eating cheese but to have the same calcium intake as for 100ml milk you have to eat 100g Emmental (or similar) and that's about 370 calories. I was searching for alternatives.

ab.er.rant

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
No, I am eating cheese but to have the same calcium intake as for 100ml milk you have to eat 100g Emmental (or similar) and that's about 370 calories. I was searching for alternatives.
Since I don't drink milk (have never really been drinking milk), and I like almond milk, your numbers got me interested.

I'm wondering about where you got those numbers. What cheese are you comparing it to? Your numbers don't seem to match up with what Google came up with.

For example: if you google "how much calcium in cheese", it tells me 100g of cheese gives me 72% of the calcium I need daily, which is about 6 times the same amount of milk. This data came from USDA.
And this site says 42 g of cheddar is similar to about 250ml of whole milk.

And unless you're calorie-dieting, 370 calories is not exactly a lot, especially if you're a guy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the nutritional information on Tescos website

Tescos Free From fresh almond milk has 120mg of calcium per 100ml
and
semi skimmed cows milk has 124mg of calcium per 100ml

So you should be OK.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the nutritional information on Tescos website

Tescos Free From fresh almond milk has 120mg of calcium per 100ml
and
semi skimmed cows milk has 124mg of calcium per 100ml

So you should be OK.

You are right. I've read on the international osteoporosis community that 100ml only have 45mg in almond milk, that started my worries. But the data was wrong.
Alpro milk too has 120mg pro 100ml.
I guess we can close this discussion. Thanks for the answers.

Reactions: 2 people