Switching pump while still in warranty? So many problems

hellobear007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.

I have been with Medtronic for 8 years and never had any problems until recently when my reservoirs started leaking under the stopper / o rings. Replacement reservoirs from different lots and a replacement pump has not fixed this issue. An older reservoir I had in a travel bag ( it expired 2021 but I was desperate at this point ) seems to work fine with no leaks. I honestly don't believe it is user error as I have not changed the method I use to fill and prime in the 8 years I have been pumping and this is only a recent issue. Plus the older reservoir working fine leads me to believe there is an issue with newer lots. Pics attached showing the issue I am having

I am having to use up to 3 times my normal basal and a 50% extra bolus when using the pump to stay somewhat in control but it is a 24/7 thing and I am exhausted, distressed and paranoid. I have really lost faith in the Medtronic pump which is a shame after 8 happy years with them.

I am contacting them up to 3 times a week to try and get this issue sorted but in the meantime I'm having to resort to MDI which is difficult for me as I have Gastropsresis and inject up to 8 times a day and rely on the use of dual / square wave boluses and temp basals. My HBA1C went from 115 to 63 from pump therapy.

I have offered to return the reservoirs to them for testing but they do not seem to think that is necessary. I am not only worried for myself but if this is a wider issue I am concerned that somebody may become very ill or worse through lack of insulin delivery.

I am also more than willing to work with a pump trainer to rule out user error and so they can see for themselves what is happening.

I only got this latest pump in October 2022 ( it was replaced this week but same warranty )

My question is can I switch to a different pump ( T Slim for example ) while still in the warranty with Medtronic. My clinic offer 3 different pumps to choose from. If I have exhausted all my options with Medtronic and the issue is not resolved what are my next steps?

How would you handle this situation

View attachment 60207View attachment 60208View attachment 60209

Attachments

• 20230326_233835.jpg
    20230326_233835.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Hug
Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If this was me, I would contact my clinic and get their assistance.
The contract (and warranty) is between them and Medtronic so they will know whether they can pull out based on your experience and whether they will allow you to change to a different pump.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my. I've had terrible unexplainable control over the last 6 six weeks. In the 20's and slam down to 3. I have considered a fault with my Medtronic 640. Anyhow after reading your post I just had a look at my reservoir and I can see bubbles between the black o rings and it smells very strongly of insulin. I'm due a set change today. I'll keep a close eye on the reservoir and report back.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning. I changed pump under warranty although not for the same reasons As yourself. I had a Medtronic pump and changed to the Omnipod as I was finding set changes impossible due to arthritis is my hands

I did have to keep contacting the Pump team to get this to happen. The consultant in charge of the team had to agree the change

Hope you get things sorted soon.

Reactions: hellobear007

hellobear007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your replies.

I am still having issues. I was awake all night again after a massive spike following dinner. Seems my insulin just did not work.... Gave it the 4 hours to do what it should but sure enough reservoir was full of bubbles and had the leaky residue under the o rings ( see pic )

A set change bought me down a little but then woken by my CGM at 3am as rising... Brand new set once again full of bubbles! Re primed and hoped for the best. So far it's ok, just needing double my dose!

I even purchased a fridge thermometer to make sure my unopened insulin was at the correct temp ( sounds paranoid I know but this has driven me potty ) . Rang my pump clinic again this morning but the entire team are down with sickness. The lovely lady on the phone has requested me a call back from a consultant as I really need to see someone face to face about this. Who knows.... I will ring Medtronic again shortly... Difficult as juggling many other medical appointments at the moment & I am exhausted.

For reference the lot numbers of the reservoirs I am having issues with is HG6RJTS, HG6JGUA and HG6QZZ9 . The all seem to be from batches manufactured late last year.

Please if you do notice this replicating on your device let Medronic know as I would hate to think there are bad batches of reservoirs in circulation.

Ps. Ignore the boxes in the pic... My cats prefer them to their lovely cosy donut beds

Many thanks again x
20230411_220837_exported_22.jpg

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure if you carry out the same procedure as I do, but I have always found it useful to move the plunger forward and backwards a few times, to ensure the seal is bedded in. You can then start filling the tube as normal. Its worked well for me over the last 5 years.

Nekromantik

I been trying to get swap for last 2 years but they refused every time
I am due a new pump in September tho so will request Tandem in July. Currently got 640g. Feels so outdated. Wish I had got tandem when I got this.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your replies.

I am still having issues. I was awake all night again after a massive spike following dinner. Seems my insulin just did not work.... Gave it the 4 hours to do what it should but sure enough reservoir was full of bubbles and had the leaky residue under the o rings ( see pic )

A set change bought me down a little but then woken by my CGM at 3am as rising... Brand new set once again full of bubbles! Re primed and hoped for the best. So far it's ok, just needing double my dose!

I even purchased a fridge thermometer to make sure my unopened insulin was at the correct temp ( sounds paranoid I know but this has driven me potty ) . Rang my pump clinic again this morning but the entire team are down with sickness. The lovely lady on the phone has requested me a call back from a consultant as I really need to see someone face to face about this. Who knows.... I will ring Medtronic again shortly... Difficult as juggling many other medical appointments at the moment & I am exhausted.

For reference the lot numbers of the reservoirs I am having issues with is HG6RJTS, HG6JGUA and HG6QZZ9 . The all seem to be from batches manufactured late last year.

Please if you do notice this replicating on your device let Medronic know as I would hate to think there are bad batches of reservoirs in circulation.

Ps. Ignore the boxes in the pic... My cats prefer them to their lovely cosy donut beds

Many thanks again xView attachment 60324
That sounds like a terrible thing to deal with. I can’t even imagine. You certainly are experienced with this, but do you think it would help if you had a CDE observe what is happening, so they could document it with your reports? I’m not sure how that works in your area. With me, I take my devices to her office and she helps me or observes what trouble I’m having. My CDE happens to be T1, so she knows it first hand and trains on all brands. I hope you can get some help. Is the core problem the reservoir or the pump? Have all the problem reservoirs had the same lot number?